Used 987 maintenance, engine life

alee2

Contemplating upgrading from my MX5 to a 987 Boxster but very cautious of the mid-engine maintenance fee surcharges that Porsche will slug on me.
Anyone had experience with 987 Boxsters once they've exceeded 90k kms?

post-1980-0-77879000-1413320713_thumb.jp

Just had my 987 boxster S serviced at Porsche Willoughby last week. Total cost including brake fluid flush was just under a grand. No major issues some advisorys such as brake disks will need changing at some point but apart form that and some wear on suspension bushes it seems to be ok and its on 88500 kms.

I guess the only way to ensure you give yourself the best chance of buying a good one is to check the service history, normally that's a good indicator of how a car has been cared for, review all the paperwork in detail and see what was mentioned on the service report that will require maintenance in the near future 90,000 kms should be nothing for a Porsche engine that's been well cared for I would think.

I had an MX5 once, great car but compared to the boxster its not even close to being in the same league.

Just booked our 05 Boxster S in today for a 95,000km service (minor) at Tassie's dealer.  Price quoted at $695 + any extras (such as brake fluid if needed).  This was about the same as I was quoted at the Melbourne independents.  Also chose the dealer because we need to get a new remote programmed, otherwise may have used a local quality workshop that looks after a few Boxsters, as it is a 5 hour drive to / from Hobart for us.  Suspect the cost for a major may be a bit different between dealer and independent, in that case we may have a trip to Melbourne to get it done at Weltmeister.  Major likely to be about $1600 I think.  But $695 is about the same as the last service for my Peugeot 4007 (Outlander with a diesel).

Our Boxster was a replacement for my wife's 01 NB8B MX5, and she likes it sooo much better  :P  :D  :P

Peter

I bet she does Peter.  Its a bigger, more robust car - sounds wonderful and overall they just feel so much safer to ride in.

The MX5 really is a small car,  passing trucks etc I always felt vulnerable in it.   The 987, no way.  P car is so well built too  - they are wonderful machines.

Good job on using Porsche too. Thats a good price.  Weltmeisters are exxy for sure.

Contemplating upgrading from my MX5 to a 987 Boxster but very cautious of the mid-engine maintenance fee surcharges that Porsche will slug on me.

Anyone had experience with 987 Boxsters once they've exceeded 90k kms?

Don't know what state you are in Alee2, but in Sydney, I highly recommend Autohaus Hamilton.  My 986 Boxster goes there.

I have never hear of any "mid engine surcharges".  I've certainly not found there to be any additional costs just because of the mid engine configuration.

Servicing costs for the Boxster are no more that those for my Subaru Forester with Subaru Waitara.  Good luck!

Archived