Coolant change 944 new Nulon "Blue" coolant.

Corki944

I know this is a discussion had many times but am after some advice.

After reading many discussions and different forums and points of views I have been researching the 'right' coolant to run in my 944.

I am doing a full cooling system flush and changing some old hoses this fri and wanted to change coolant.

Alot of info I have read has said that I should use something that is phosphate free and as such I have found a relatively new product from Nulon called 'Blue'.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Blue_Long_Life_Premix_Coolant/#.VFdd_BNuvMI

Hoping to hear from some of you dedicated front engined fans that can advise me of the best choice or your past experience.

This coolant is designed for the european market/engine and from what I have read should do the trick.

Look forward to your input and advice.

Cheers in advance

Nulon looks the goods. I've been using this http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=6&id_subcateg=67&id_products=328

As a rule I change coolant every 2 years or less. You could leave it 4-5 years and change when you do the T belt & water pump.

Once "installed" some people monitor the coolant quality as follows

"Using a digital multimeter, set it to read 12 volts DC. Attach one of the test leads to the negative battery terminal and submerse the other end into the coolant. Rev the engine to 2,000 RPM and reads the voltage on the meter. Any reading over .3-.4 volts indicates that the coolant is conducting too much electricity. Either the coolant needs replacing or you have a grounding problem in the vehicle. If the coolant is fresh, check for poor ground connections between the engine and the firewall and the engine and the negative battery terminal."

Well finally sorted, for now anyway!  :rolleyes:

Received an answer back from Nulon as follows re "Blue" coolant for 944.

No we don’t recommend our BLUE LONG LIFE CONCENTRATED COOLANT (BLL) in your Porsche as the corrosion inhibitors (OAT) are not designed specifically for cast iron components such as the engine block. This product is designed for late model vehicles with all aluminium cooling systems.

We recommend our GREEN LONG LIFE CONCENTRATED COOLANT (LL) in a 33/67 ratio with demineralised water, see recommendation below.

When swapping over to our GREEN LONG LIFE CONCENTRATED COOLANT (LL) a complete flush of the radiator and cooling system is recommended beforehand. Please follow the equipment manufacturer recommendations on coolant change over and flushing instructions.

:blink: This will have to do me......... 

My point exactly..........

Thanks Greg,

Funny that Nulon don,t know this.

The 'Blue' coolant is designed for newer late model vehicles and is not suitable for our early systems.
Am going to run the 'green' coolant as it is phosphate free as well and see how it goes.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Archived