993/964 switchable spoiler

StevepGT3

A couple of people have expressed interest in how to do this so here is a DIY ,

I used this DIY to identify the wires 

http://boman993.com/diy-spoiler-module-mod/

but instead of just turning it into a manual only  spoiler I installed  a double pole/ single throw switch (purchased from Jcar) into the blank space between the fog light switch and the cigarette lighter, so that with it turned off it is manual only, but turned on it functions as per normal.

The radio needs to be removed to run the wires and the blank hole needs to be cut out with a sharp knife and relieved slightly with a round file.

Pretty easy DIY that if wanted removes that annoying up and down of the spoiler in between traffic lights on 80 k roads

P1000533_zps2e52c6e9.jpg

P1000541_zpsd78eb4fb.jpg

P1000538_zps6049a10a.jpg

Great idea !!

I have wondered the actual need for the moving spoiler, I assue its aerodynamics but I would also think it aid in egnine air feed for cooling, or asthetics good question, and why 80Ks when full areodynamic effect comes in after 100Ks

It would be interetsing to know porsches reasons.

Graeme

Great idea !!

I have wondered the actual need for the moving spoiler, I assue its aerodynamics but I would also think it aid in egnine air feed for cooling, or asthetics good question, and why 80Ks when full areodynamic effect comes in after 100Ks

It would be interetsing to know porsches reasons.

Graeme

Just my theory, but how long does it take to accelerate from 80 to 100 kph at full stick and how long does it for the spoiler to fully deploy and the aerodynamics to stabilise ?

I know I would like the aerodynamics to be stable and fully functional before I needed it.

Just my theory, but how long does it take to accelerate from 80 to 100 kph at full stick and how long does it for the spoiler to fully deploy and the aerodynamics to stabilise ?

I know I would like the aerodynamics to be stable and fully functional before I needed it.

It's a spoiler, not a wing ie. Spoils the airflow over the car so that it does not generate lift at high speeds as opposed to a wing that generates downforce. RUF make a control module that deploys the spoiler at 130kph, being German it would have to be TUV approved. so I don't expect the car to get all squirrely driving down ( insert your local road here ) to Bunnings at 80k to pick up  some cable ties.

I followed a rennlist 964 thread and removed 2 pins ( easily reversible ) from the spoiler module located in the passenger footwell to have complete manual operation of the spoiler... too many 80 k zones near my house so the spoiler was constantly going up and down.

Very easy mod, all done in 20min.

Archived