2000 911 carrera or 2005 boxter ? Help

Joel

Hi guys

I need help, Im new to the forum, and glad i joined

I have only owned one Porsche (200ur help1 boxter) and at the moment own a 2002 BMW M3

What should I buy as I want a porsche no matter what. a 2005 yellow boxter or start looking for a 98+ (996) 911 carrera

Thanks for your help

Joel

Hi Joel, was faced with the same question a few months back. Not sure either is a bad choice! I guess it will depend a lot on what exactly you want to do with the car.

In my case my car is a daily driver, I have two teen age kids, each with their own car, so almost all my driving is with only me in the car, but significantly not all. I drove both and the 911 and Boxster were great, but in the end I went for a 996 Cabrio. For me having the ability to carry more than two people is great. Whilst I don't do it very often, just being able to makes the 911 worth it. The 911 personally I found more "solid" its a bigger more refined and developed car (IMHO). The cabrio gives me the open air Boxster feel.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys

I need help, Im new to the forum, and glad i joined

I have only owned one Porsche (200ur help1 boxter) and at the moment own a 2002 BMW M3

What should I buy as I want a porsche no matter what. a 2005 yellow boxter or start looking for a 98+ (996) 911 carrera

Thanks for your help

Joel

As joel says in Risky Business; "Porsche. There is no substitute", so a great start Joel! I can talk on experience here as I do have a yellow boxster; albeit a 2001 model, that I've had since new. Still love it and the colour has been kind to my car. I also have a silver 993 Carrera S wide body (manual), They are both wonderful cars for different reasons...the 993, the end of evolution 911 that will continue to appreciate in value. They are both not everyday cars. The 996 (early years of manufacture) that followed is not collectible or sort after for so many reasons you'll find on this forum. Why is a 993 worth so more more than an early 996? The change from 993 to 996 was a watershed for Porsche. You will not have any issues with an '05 boxster...full stop...and what great fun. As a price line purchase I'd do that or an 03/4 911. Although they are getting more expensive. The early 996's are cheap and will continue to be so. What I would consider is to buy an undesirable colour 996 manual and change the colour to lime green or orange...strip the interior down to be like a modern day 911RS...go the duck tail...and set a price that you'd spend...like $65K all up...I probably will do one soon...but expect to rebuild the engine when it does shit itself. Could be a cheap, unique hottie.

An early model 996 is "risky business!!" Joel

Dean

It really makes me scratch my head sometimes reading what some people write in response to straight forward questions. Joel has asked for peoples opinions on a 996 vs a Boxster and instead he gets a long dissertation on a 993?

"continue to appreciate in value." Are we talking about buying a car to drive or a stamp collection?

"They are both not everyday cars" A 996 is, so if you want an everyday car are you saying don't buy a 993?

"An early model 996 is "risky business!!", have you had one?

It surely must come down to what you want out of the car?

Hi Joel,

Just got back from interstate so I thought it was my turn to add my 2 cents (for what it's worth). Doug mentioned that I have a 996 and my father a Boxter (although earlier than you are looking at)but it means I do know both cars well.

Let start by getting the elephant in the room out early. 996 engines developed a reputation (as well as Boxters, they, according to the magazine 911 and porsche world, use essentially the same M96 engine)for 'grenading' before they were due. Best information I could get is that approx 10% had a premature meltdown. This was usually intermediate shaft failure, Soliniod failure that made the Variocam valve timing mechanism fail or oil / water contamination that also had the expected results. This is now common knowledge so has well and truly been built into the purchase price. Again the best info I could get suggested that many of the engines that failed, did so early or when tracked. My own view is that if buying a 996 you buy a good one, maintain it well and you would have to be unlucky for it to fail. Reality is that the 996 you are looking at is now 11 years old so the possibility of any mechanical repair to any type performance car of this vintage is possible so have to have the budget and the stomach to repair anything that may go wrong. I have had mine for 4 years with no issues.

Magazine '911 and Porsche world' did a great article on 996 ownership - titled 'A car for all reasons' that talked about the joys and potential perils of 996 ownership and gives some great tips on preventative maintanance and overall finds overwhelmingly in it's favour when looking at performance vs price vs risks.

The later the model (an 05 Boxter for example) will have many of the issues sorted but I would never go as far as saying you wont have a problem with an 05 Boxter, full stop. Any car can break and you must be in a position to maintain and fix any car before purchasing it.

On the road - The two cars are very different to drive and both excellent for different reasons. My dad's boxter is not an 's' and I would lean toward an 's' if you can as a regular 2.7 Boxter's only fault i would mention is a tad underpowered. Boxter is very predictable and shore footed. Easier to drive harder and gives you confidence very quickly in it's handling capabilities. The newer car would be expected to depreciate quicker.

911 has more grunt and more personality. It feels different to drive and you will need to get used to it to gain confidence. My bias will show when I say that would alway expect a 911 to be more saught after in the future because there is always going to be a bit of misguided 'status factor' for potential buyers who like the sound of telling people they drive a 911. Other than that the 2 small rear seats are very handy for me. I have two kids under 7 and we will often put the kids in the back a go for a gentle cruise to the yarra valley for lunch.

Performance - the TV show 'Fifth Gear' did a track comparison between a bog standard 1997 model 3.4 911 and the limited 2007 RS60 boxter which was more powerfull than the same year Boxter S (by 8 hp) and the 911 was still 0.3 seconds per lap quicker on a 45 second lap. I have tried to attach the link below but technology is not thing and it didn't work. On youtube type 'porsche boxter rs60 vs porsche 911 carrera 2 fifth gear' and it will be the first vid you see.

Kerry, if you are reading you might be able to add this as a link then hang some on my lack of skill next time I see you.

Most importantly Joel, get your head around all the pros and cons of both cars and drive them both. Only you can make the decision on which one will give you the most pleasure. Buy a good one. Perfect service history etc.

Best of luck and keep all on the forum posted on your progress.

Regards,

Andy S

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies. I am overwhelmed by your honesty and opinions. This definitely has to be the best forum I have been on and I will continue to stay in touch.

I had a test drive of a 911 convertible this afternoon and it blows the Boxster away. That has certainly solved my question in regards to Boxster Vs 911 however I am still yet to work out whether I want a coupe or convertible.

The 911 I drove today certainly impressed me however I am uncertain about it as something just didn't sit well with me. As I am still "really" getting to know the 911 I would appreciate your advice about this car. The vehicle I test drove is a 2002 911 Carrera Covertible 6spd 75,000kms. When the car starts to take off b/w 1500rpm-2000rpm (or there abouts) the car has a bit of a flat spot. The guy told me its normal and is a part of the VVT. Is this true?

Also I just want the coupe for the classic Porsche look however Im still tossing this up. The other thing is I am trying to afford the 2002 as I like the update.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Ive attached some pics of the vehicle I test drove today.

Joel

post-361-129690122413_thumb.jpgpost-361-129690123901_thumb.jpgpost-361-129690125123_thumb.jpg

Hi Joel,

Think I know the Dealer in Melb your at, something with a (W) in it. If it is them they are Porsche Club members, know Porsche inside out and would be forthcoming in answering your questions accurately.I have dealt with them and they have done great work and always been good with information ! Google Torque curve ! My choice would be a Coupe for security,easy to keep inside clean and all weather friendly.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Joel,

The car looks great :)

Coupe or cab, very personal decision. My views on the fun of having the cabrio are no secret, but the coupe is a beautiful car also. Either are a great choice and come down to personal opinion and use. Overwhelmingly I love my 996 but there are a couple of things I think let it down or just a little annoying. Happy to share them with you just so you can make an informed decision.

1. It does sound a bit "puffy" for want of a better word at low revs.

2. Not sure about your "flat spot" but certainly they liven up at revs but it can feel a little flat low down.

3. Its not uncommon for my car to blow smoke at start up, this can be a bit embarrassing trying to explain to my friend "its a Porsche thing". How much varies, it is more pronounced if I give it some welly then turn it off, next time I start it it will likely blow smoke. I have noticed (thanks to the advice of a member here) that if I let it idle for a minute or so before shutting it down it is greatly reduced.

4. The standard stereo system is a bit clunky/basic. In fact I am getting quotes for a major upgrade of it. I really think it lets the car down. Once again though depends on how important this is to you. I drive it 2 hours every day, so to me its pretty important.

The upside though is I have found its just such a use-able everyday car. Easy to drive, incredible steering feel, great power, stunning breaks, comfortable seats, good on fuel and relatively inexpensive to service. They just do almost everything extremely well, a great package.

Just be careful, they do bite, the one thing I have found is compared to other performance cars I have owned is they go from control to breaking rear traction very quickly, and when it does there is a whole lot of weight back there trying to overtake the front. As Clarkson said, in a Ferrari or Lamborghini it always feels like they are about to kill you. A Porsche lulls you into a false sense of security then kills you!!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Joel, yes it is the W firm and at that price and condition very attractive. I was attracted to the 73 Targa in the background until I read the price ( but it will sell at that because it is restored). Makes "your" cabrio look very good and the W firm have a great reputation and would support your ownership in the future ( and that's value in itself). If you're unsure, go drive it a bit more, then buy it!

Cheers

Paul M

Good on you Joel. Perfect weather for the Cab at the moment so enjoy, sure you will.

Make sure you wear a hat though. :rolleyes::D

Anchor points, sorry one of the other guys will have to help you on that one or the guys from where you bought it might be able to.

Have fun and hope to catch up soon.

Cheers

Chris

Archived