Magnus' going after a 928 soon

tazzieman

Good on you Magnus.  Good to see he doesn't have air-cooled blinkers on, unlike many others...

Even better - he's also talking about getting a 944 Turbo S.  That'll be interesting when he gets into it!

There's a guy in the USA who's stripped out an early 928, though not to go racing.

That would be worth doing. As we know , the difference in feel between early and late 911s has as much to do with lightness as it does with power & gizmoids. 928s feel heavy and luxurious , though not soft like an XJS Jag. My 928 will outgun (& easily out handle) my similar era 911 and if it lost 150-200kg...hmmm  :)

I predict he will search for a 78 or 79MY car, considered the purest of the type...though imperfect , which is right up MWs alley.

86s are a dime a dozen. The Shannon's one is a nice looking car though.

There's a guy in the USA who's stripped out an early 928, though not to go racing.

That would be worth doing. As we know , the difference in feel between early and late 911s has as much to do with lightness as it does with power & gizmoids. 928s feel heavy and luxurious , though not soft like an XJS Jag. My 928 will outgun (& easily out handle) my similar era 911 and if it lost 150-200kg...hmmm

Way back when the 928S was first out, Hamilton's stripped a manual out and put a cage in. Jim Richards used it for ride days with customers. Now that car was quick!

Someone from WA ran a 928 in Group S at Phillip Island Historics a few years back and blew all of the 911s away, and it wasn't an S

With race derived suspension that later made it into the 964 , that does not surprise me!

It is very hard to spin one of these things.

BuggeHeinrich%20(2).jpg

wiki

Porsche's Racing Department never officially entered or prepared a racing 928 for a pure works entry. Only once Porsche decided to make it obvious to the 911 enthusiasts that they usually tended to underrate the racing genes of the 928. Porsche then "arranged" this 928GTR to compete against the then dominant 911(993GTR) on the race track. In order not to offend sensibilities of their traditional 911/993GTR customers by officially challenging them with an outright Works - 928GTR, Porsche asked Max Moritz Racing, their longtime private racing partner from next door Reutlingen to enter this 928GTR Cup as a 'semi-works' car.

It didn't come as a surprise that the drivers were: Bernd MayländerManuel Reuter (Porsche works pilots), also Harm Lagaay (then Head of Porsche's Design Studio).Vittorio Strosek sponsored MM with his Lightweight-Body-Parts and racing exhaust. The car was officially entered by Porsche-Club-Schwaben. Homologation minimum weight had to be, and actually is 1,370 kg (3,020 lb).

Lagaaij reports that the car was very competitive and able to hold most 964 CUP GTs down, although the engine was no more than fine-tuned after having been chosen from a set of high power output specimen in Weissach

I notice his pronunciation.

Where are we on the 'nine twenty eight' and 'nine forty four' vs nine-two-eight and 'nine four four'

I've always used the latter...but I've always said 'nine eleven'

Same with BMWs....I say 'five two eight' but jump to 'five forty'.  Makes no sense, really.  I've no idea what's right.

Numbers can be used interchangeably, and to some extent upon preference. I mix it up and sometimes it depends who I'm talking to. 

If you see them as models in a "9" range , then technically it seems right to employ normal numerical use i.e. "twenty eight" as in "type nine twenty eight". 

"Nein-two-eight" sounds like you are being summonsed for unspeakable consequences.

Archived