Porsche 964 Series Resistor Wanted

Mike D'Silva

hi all

so, in my latest foray into "fixing" one issue, I have managed to cause another...

I managed to blow the Series Resistor that mounts in the blower tube in the engine bay.

seriesresistor_zps6bda7148.jpg

Part number is 964 616 550 02

I don't really know what this part does to be honest.. but, I figure I should replace it.

Wondering if there is anyone here, with a 964 or 993, that has bypassed this tube and removed their blower motor and is willing to part with the item for a nominal amount?

Any help appreciated... 

Mike

0418 316 203

Blower Motor Resistor: Recalls
Campaign - Rear Heater Blower Resistor Replacement
Group
Number
Model
911 C2/C4
1989-1992
Part Identifier
P02
Subject:
Replacement of the Rear Heater Blower Resistor
ATTENTION: Service Manager / Service Technician
This is to notify you of a voluntary recall campaign which involves 911 Carrera 2 and 4 vehicles of model years 1989 to 1992.
It has been determined that after the operation of a vehicle for a period of time sufficient to reach normal operating temperature, the potential exists for
an electrical problem to develop in the resistor for the rear heater blower. Within a few minutes after the engine has been turned off, the rear heater
blower may automatically operate in order to dissipate heat in the engine heating system. During this operation the reistor for the rear heater blower can
become electrically overloaded due to a binding or seized rear heater blower.
The overloaded resistor can create heat sufficient to ignite the plastic air pipe to which it is connected, thus leading to an engine compartment fire.
A total of 11,346 cars fall within the scope of this recall. All potentially have the defect and will be recalled to have a new resistor, which has a circuit
breaker, installed.

Mike,
It looks like from the photo you have the newer type already that has the circuit breaker built in. Just a pity it doesn't work........

PS: Do you know why it doesn't work? The circuit breaker should protect the resistor.  Might just be a dirty contact or a misaligned bimetal strip that holds the contact on the circuit breaker that just needs a bit of "Mike Magic"!

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

How did you go with this?

I can across some info by accident last week saying that you have to manually reset when it trips out due to excess current. So sounds like all is not lost with the current unit....

hi Peter

mine is toast.. the coil part was touching part of the engine I think, and whatever happened, caused it to melt itself and break. The photo at the beginning of my thread, was just an image i pulled off the net to help others identify the part...

However, I don't really know what the part does?? do I really need to replace it?

who knows..

ps - still no oil leaks on the garage floor yet...

Archived