Lakes Entrance to Bright

JV911

Day 3 of my Christmas road trip was Lakes Entrance to Bright via Mt Hotham. I've cycled it a dozen times (well, Bright to Omeo return) but have never driven it, so it was much anticipated and didn't disappoint!

The roads are in good conditions overall and there was next to no traffic apart from a truckie (on a mission!) and a bloke towing a horse float but he pulled over asap. The ascent starts way back in Bruthen and is gradual and windy while the descent into Harrietville is steeper and tighter with hairpin after hairpin. The weather was good; a bit foggy at the top of Hotham but otherwise fine. 

Unfortunately the 911 wasn't ready but the Golf performed admirably. Didn't push as I had my girlfriend in the car but still the brakes began to fade near the bottom.

Day 4 was much shorter - Bright to Albury but equally enjoyable. Normally you'd drive to Wangaratta and take the boring motorway but the back way via Yakandandah is single lane, open country roads with some great sweeping corners thrown in the mix - another sector I'd been longing to drive for years. If anything the roads were in better condition (9/10!) and it was so much fun I said we should turn around and do it again. 

If you ever get the chance, jump on it. Both are firmly in my top 10, possibly top 5, drives.

Just could be 12 cars going in that sort of direction on the way to CANBERRA in 2015 ...

But nothing set down yet.

It would  be a doozy of a drive....

We also still need at least one emergency if any one is interested.

The Melbourne to Canberra expedition may be heading through that area.  

It has been put up as a suggested route.    

Planning for the trip is not complete yet though. 

So we will be assessing along with our other routes.

Decision will be made closer to the event    

I was just searching for great road trips and picked up the Forum and your Post.

Love the snow mountain roads. Getting a little hard to have fun as the road is quite well patrolled these days.

But if you law abiding no problem...

I was just searching for great road trips and picked up the Forum and your Post.

Love the snow mountain roads. Getting a little hard to have fun as the road is quite well patrolled these days.

But if you law abiding no problem...

A small group of us explored some of these roads in November and I agree there are some brilliant roads. There are some real challenges into some of the twisty sections keeping under the speed limits There's no need to push the speed limits and risk your licence.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bright to Omeo is one of the most enjoyable drives I've done.

The quality of the road, the lack of traffic and the sensible limits all combine to make this a driving experience to remember.

Archived