Adelaide Hills bushfires

For those of you who are interested, the update from the SA Country Fire Service at 7pm last night was that 60% of the fire front has been contained. So far more than 12500 hectares have been burned, including 38 homes and 125 farm buildings.

Local and interstate crews are continuing to fight the fires. It's forecasted 38 degrees today and it's already quite windy. They are doing an amazing job as always. Were are 25km south of the fires and no smoke visible, which unfortunately means the fire is probably going to spread into more unburnt areas. I don't pray for much, but a couple of inches of rain would be handy right about now.

If you happen to know any of the interstaters that have come across to assist please give them a big thanks from us when you speak to them next.

Ditto. A HUGE thanks to all the volunteer fireys that put their own lives in danger to fight the fires, and continue to do so without being paid.

I know Chris (9er) here did a 14 hour shift as a Metro firey, so again, thanks for what you do fella, you guys deserve all the accolades received for what you think is just doing your job.

Also to all the volunteers that are helping the victims make life a little easier after their heartbreaking losses. I can't imagine what it would feel like.

As an animal lover, I was/am heartbroken to hear some of these poor animals trapped, yet a lot were saved due to the firey's and many others compassion. Some friends helped some Koalas with a bath and lots of drinks, and they still reside in their back yard being fed and watered and getting lots of pats and won't leave!. People CAN be awesome.

As i sit here 20k's away, I can here thunder and its very dark over the hills.

Lets just hope that it brings lots of rain and not much lightning in the fire zone

Apparently they had 20mm or so in Birdwood and similar in One Tee Hill, but some areas in the fire affected zone had none.  We had precious little here in Littlehampton.  Just a light sprinkle.  There was quite a bit of thunder and lightning.  Unfortunately there's been a large number of smaller fires around the state, mostly started by lightning strikes.  Hasn't really cooled down much outside.

The CFS/MFS and police have been great. The work they have done to protect homes is nothing short of amazing

I made it up to my place, rather what's left of it yesterday. The 944S2 is totally destroyed, I knew that to begin with but the sheer scale of the destruction is amazing (from a technical point of view).

The spare wheels have simply melted .

Luckily though, the workshop and the 944S are unscathed. I just have to get the gear out of there to keep it from walking away.

Cheers

Greg

I have the greatest respect for somebody that puts on overalls on a 40 degree day.

To stand in between a total strangers house and front such a dangerous situation, and ask nothing for it.

Heros don't wear a cape, nor a jersy, they wear yellow overalls.

I live in a bushfire area too. Nervous times.

Sorry to hear your situation Greg, sounds like it was intense there.

I have the greatest respect for somebody that puts on overalls on a 40 degree day.

Indeed , and though many wear breathing gear , most don't and that face mask doesn't stop toxic smoke particles filling their lungs.

Which has consequences for many , not just short term. They are indeed brave (& underpaid) soldiers on the home front and require many skills ; it's not just pointing a hose!

Archived