996 battery charging problems

vl gra

Hi everyone,

My 2000 model 996tt is only charging at 13volts on the gauge and the battery is always going flat.

Shouldn't it be charging at 13.9-14.1 or round abouts?

Is there a known problem with these cars in terms of charging or could it be a simple case as an alternator problem?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst not directly related to the original post, I thought it worth mentioning that my alternator or regulator (1998 C2) died late last year and the most cost effective solution was for me was to import a brand new alternator/regulator  from the US for about $250 inc shipping. Used alternators are selling for similar money at Aussie wreckers and quotes for supply of  new alternators in Australia were just silly ($900 - $2000). In my case it was the dash voltmeter that gave away the cause of the issue after I started the car one morning and and the dashboard was alight with an array of fault lights and they remained lit after I attempted to reset them with my durametiric, Thats when I noted the low voltage (I had already replaced the battery with a fresh one so I knew that wasn't the cause).

Took the car to the auto elecs. The problem was a secondary alarm/tracker drawing power. Don't know why as looks like it had been on for ages. I got that removed and new battery fitted. Now back to driving and enjoying the beast.

The problem was a secondary alarm/tracker drawing power. Don't know why as looks like it had been on for ages.

Had the same issue. Those after-market alarms/trackers have their own built-in battery but once it goes flat (over time) the tracker draws current from the car battery 24/7. Removed the tracker and problem was solved.

what sort of batteries are you guys fitting?

i'd like to find a good lightweight battery.

I just replaced my battery with a Supercharge gold plus MF66 for $175 delivered from online batteries.

For track days I have run the car off an odyssey pc680 and a  lithium voltphreaks  vpa-p6.

I just replaced my battery with a Supercharge gold plus MF66 for $175 delivered from online batteries.

For track days I have run the car off an odyssey pc680 and a  lithium voltphreaks  vpa-p6.

Thanks, I've got a PC-680 that i use for my race car - but i didnt think it would have enough grunt for the porsche. I'll give it a try, or maybe just buy the next size up.

Cheers

Archived