I have heard it said

"If you can't afford a good Porsche, you can't afford a cheap one"

I often see 924's and 944's going for a song.

Are they really that bad? I know little about them.

The kid down the road is looking for his first car, and he wants a project.

From a mates recent experience. I know nothing too.

Paid $1000 for a 924 that was advertised for $1500. Cosmetically ok, but could do with a paint job (he's a car painter, so thats no biggy), interior less than average (read crap!) A week or two later the gearbox shat itself, $1100 to fix including parts. Engine blows smoke on start up and under load, scared to get a quote, though $2000 is being thrown around at the moment. Needs some wheel bearings and a few other bits attending too, so probably another $500 to a grand there.

Worth it? He has a Porsche, so he's happy, yet I think he did jump in at the deep end buying a shitter (told him to save up for a better one), yet when all the bits are repaired, and doing most of the work himself, he'll have a decent car for around $5000 to $6000........probably.

Just because you see them cheap, doesn't mean maintenance is cheap. 

a 924 is cheaper to maintain than a 944 as it's VW parts and engine. 

a 924 as a project would be a decent start. They're not the fastest things on the road, but they can handle. Finding parts is tough. For a teen, and understanding the mechanical fuel injection though... Could be a problem. Good project to mod the engine to fuel injection though. 

There's aftermarket pistons, rods, cams, valves, ect for them. get more power out of them. 

Maybe a 924s? they have the porsche 2.5 from a 944. 

Or a 944 first series. as they have less stuff and they come cheap also. But lets say a water pump will set you back $500-$600 alone.. 

There's probably a couple of good ones here and there.

No their not that bad, but they are not a, dare i say, "purist Porsche".

Like every car on the road if you don't maintain it, it's a shitter, 944's are massively underrated, drive on rails, handle well, and very comfortable on a long trip, got good air con as well :ph34r: 

Archived