944 S2 Manual Gear Change Difficulty

HH1

Hi Guys, 

My recently acquired 944 S2 Cab has just started to become difficult to change gears especially between 1 & 2. It feels like there's something hindering it. It gets better after driving it for 10 - 15 minutes, but its never happened before. I'm guessing its the Gearbox oil level or a transmission oil level. However there are no leaks except for some coolant in the front. I need some advice. Procedures on how to resolve this and what oil or oil to use or top up.

Thanks in advance.

Sohan :mellow:

aitch,

How you have described the issue, it's unlikely to be related to oil or oil level but since it is a new car to you it is worth checking nevertheless anyway.

I'd check the clutch is operating correctly first. Does it shift into reverse or first easily? If not, this can also effect other changes like you described.

Second, I would then carefully check the gearshift linkage for any loose or sloppy bushes or joints.

Now I don't know a 924 from a 944 so can't give any specifics on your car to look for but you may find a quick Google search may uncover some useful hints on Rennlist or Pelican. Also investing in a workshop manual isn't a bad thing either.

Good luck!

Peter

Sohan,

Easy start is to remove gear lever boot and check shift likage for binding on noise insulation.

Love your colour !

Cheers,Mark.

What he said. 

also it doesn't hurt to change the gearbox oil, could have lost its viscosity over time. 

Sohan,

Easy start is to remove gear lever boot and check shift likage for binding on noise insulation.

Love your colour !

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Mark, 

Ive removed this together with the centre console, but can't seem to locate the linkage. In fact after removing the gear knob, the issue seems to have gone away. I'm currently shifting with the Gear Lever and there's no issue!

I'm still going to try this out for the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll keep you posted.

Sohan

Sohan,

The lever linkage connects to the rod going rearward to the box. If you removed the knob and are shifting with lever only it means you do not have downward pressure.

If the linkage was loose, downward pressure may cause it to bind on the insulation. It may explain what is happening.

If you still have the console off it would be easy enough to take to a Porsche mechanic and ask them to take a quick look.

Hi Mark,

Would you have any images or diagrams of where the linkages may be for me to show them to my mechanic. He's not a Porsche mechanic but a BMW one.

Also I drove it about 120km today with the Gear knob back on and it didn't happen 80% of the time.

Thanks,

Sohan

Archived