944 Info

Ross B

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.  I would like to try and establish the dealer through which my 944 (plated 1/85) was originally sold.

I have emailed Porsche Australia twice with the particulars and they haven't 

bothered to respond to my emails. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ross

Why not ring PA and ask for "general enquiries". If the human on the end of the line can't help , post back here and we'll highlight that fact for others who may have similar questions in the future. I'm not sure that Porsche Germany would be any more helpful.

I presume someone has hung on to the original service booklet? I wish people didn't do that. 

Thanks guys, the reason I asked on this forum was I thought someone may have been through this before and have a friendly contact at Porsche Australia.

I phoned PA and was transferred and sat on the phone until it rang out.

I took Foyley's advice and contacted the service dept at The Porsche Centre Brisbane. As Foyley said, they were very helpful and tapped into PA's data base and gave me the info on file.

The car was imported by PA into Melbourne and interestingly sold by The Porsche Centre Perth, 27/4/85. Also, he gave me all the option codes specified by the original purchaser. 

Thanks guys

Ross

Also, he gave me all the option codes specified by the original purchaser. 

Good result. I think there is/was a sticker in the spare wheel well with options on it?

Now you have to trace the car's life around Australia!

My 924 came into WA from the UK , and ended up at Nowra , then Rockhampton and now Tassy , so it's been around the block.

Hey Ross,

Glad you found out the info you were looking for, reminded me I have to do the same one day soon.

Car looks great so how about posting up a few photos and as well of your 968.

Always like to see a good front engined car on the forum.

Hope to speak and see more of you and your cars online.

You got good advice talking to parts guys, as my parts guys are awesome and extremely helpful. I got no where with Porsche Australia or Germany when I requested info from both, not about my car, but about numbers imported etc. Got a distinct feeling that they could tell you what the guy who fitted your windscreen wiper had for breakfast the day a 911 was built but it's almost like they wonder why you could possibly want info on a 944 turbo delivered to a little island in the pacific lol

As to chasing up its history further, this is complicated by what the car is. The reason I described it as  944/968 under "rides" is because that's exactly what it is.....probably the closest thing to a 944 series 3 as it gets. 

The 1985  944 body (80,000 km) sits on (1993) 968 mechanicals, ....3 lt Variocam engine (39,000 km), 6 speed trans-axle, suspension, brakes etc.  The transfer of the 968 mechanicals has been so well executed, the Porsche mechanic said at first glance it could easily be mistaken as factory, the car has also been lowered 50 mm. 

The interior and body are in excellent condition, and when the body shop stripped it for repainting they reported that no accident damage/repairs were evident, quite a feat for a 30 year old car. When time permits I'll round up a few pics and put them up.

So I'm hoping that I can get the details from Porsche on the donor 968 from the engine serial number.

Tassieman ...... I have previously looked for the build sticker in the back and can only see some glue residue where I surmise it once was.

Cheers

Ross 

9fan, I'm not sure how much of a "sleeper" it is, :D  but it would be interesting comparing the standard 968 power to weight ratio to my car as I believe the 944 body is 220 kg lighter than a 968.

Ross

Archived