Nutty prices for 993s and 964s. Drug money.

So the 78-89 turbos are sort of the SCs of the turbo world? 

I thought they were all galvanised , what's ol' Raby on about?

A couple of days ago this 1976 US spec 930 went up for sale at around AU$330,000. Word is today there is already a sale pending. It's not the most expensive one ever sold but close to it. 

The time that these cars are on the market is a matter of days. Even with technical and or specification imperfections. At that kind of money, they are no longer a car you play with on the weekend. They are more like a "Marketable commodity" 

Investment Bankers, Lawyers and Drug Dealers would see these as a commodity that is on the rise. For some people it's just pocket money, it may well increase in price at a rate greater than other "Marketable commodity"  over the next few years? And if not, oh well.... "That was fun anyway"

I buy old bikes for a few dollars here and there. Speculating they are worth more than what I pay for them. That's my level of pocket money gamble. Everybody has their limits.

http://www.symbolicintl.com/1976-porsche-930-turbo-carrera-9306800074.html

I don't mind common or expensive but I don't like rusty. 

OTOH I read something in Octane or somesuch mag recently that said if you have to quote a special colour or specs,  your car is not "rare" in strict usage of the word "rare". So bugger off all you Weissach edition 911 owners  :ph34r:

A couple of days ago this 1976 US spec 930 went up for sale at around AU$330,000. Word is today there is already a sale pending. It's not the most expensive one ever sold but close to it. 

The time that these cars are on the market is a matter of days. Even with technical and or specification imperfections. At that kind of money, they are no longer a car you play with on the weekend. They are more like a "Marketable commodity" 

Investment Bankers, Lawyers and Drug Dealers would see these as a commodity that is on the rise. For some people it's just pocket money, it may well increase in price at a rate greater than other "Marketable commodity"  over the next few years? And if not, oh well.... "That was fun anyway"

I buy old bikes for a few dollars here and there. Speculating they are worth more than what I pay for them. That's my level of pocket money gamble. Everybody has their limits.

http://www.symbolicintl.com/1976-porsche-930-turbo-carrera-9306800074.html

As an owner of a 76 930 you are well placed to ride the wave. Well done

I have the book 'the gold plated Porsche' (http://www.amazon.com/The-Gold-Plated-Porsche-Fortune-Misadventures/dp/1592282563)

In it, he describes how in the 1970s, as an automotive editor, someone asked him for advice whether the recently released 'turbo Carrera' would be a good investment car. At the time the turbo was like nothing else on the roads in the malaise era, so he advised it was a good idea, as surely they couldn't make a car faster than this. So the guy bought two and put them in storage as investments, destined to not be driven.

As the book was written over ten years ago when the value of a 'turbo Carrera' was probably at an all-time low, he laughs how it was bad advice as the turbos got more and more powerful, and nobody wanted the unintercooled early models. I don't recall whether he knew if the guy sold the pair of turbos at a pitiful sum, or whether he still had them. I would love to find out the answer.

anyway, as they always say, it's time in he market, not timing the the market that counts.

So what you're saying is that tassie should hang onto his 928 for a few more years

I have the book 'the gold plated Porsche' (http://www.amazon.com/The-Gold-Plated-Porsche-Fortune-Misadventures/dp/1592282563)

In it, he describes how in the 1970s, as an automotive editor, someone asked him for advice whether the recently released 'turbo Carrera' would be a good investment car. At the time the turbo was like nothing else on the roads in the malaise era, so he advised it was a good idea, as surely they couldn't make a car faster than this. So the guy bought two and put them in storage as investments, destined to not be driven.

As the book was written over ten years ago when the value of a 'turbo Carrera' was probably at an all-time low, he laughs how it was bad advice as the turbos got more and more powerful, and nobody wanted the unintercooled early models. I don't recall whether he knew if the guy sold the pair of turbos at a pitiful sum, or whether he still had them. I would love to find out the answer.

anyway, as they always say, it's time in he market, not timing the the market that counts.

So what you're saying is that tassie should hang onto his 928 for a few more years

I don't mind common or expensive but I don't like rusty. 

OTOH I read something in Octane or somesuch mag recently that said if you have to quote a special colour or specs,  your car is not "rare" in strict usage of the word "rare". So bugger off all you Weissach edition 911 owners  :ph34r:

Nah...it's rare enough, the Weissach - as long as it is original. Sure it's a parts bin special, but some cool parts that weren't available on other ones. Not worth much more though.

I'd even stretch it to the 25th edition models as well.

30,000 on the clock helps.

The early cars in the US are between 200K and 300K and heading north.

Archived