Time to buy a Cayman S?

Seriously thinking about selling my BMW 1M and buying a 987 Cayman S as a daily driver.  Love the 1M, it's an epic car, but I'm bored so maybe it's time for a change.

The Caymans are just insanely good value . . . . look at this one for $54k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-3248339/?Cr=9

Need to do some research though.  I'm not really across Gen 1 vs Gen 2, the IMS issue, etc.

Any advice or strong opinions?

Not across the issues either and TBH lightly driven cars worry me a bit as these cars(Porsches) are meant to be driven and I read that IMS issues may be from lightly rev'd examples, but it ticks all the boxes for me ie it;s an S with sports chrono package.

Looks very similar to a Cayman S that was on Carsales this time last year for a long time...

Mate of mine checked it out and from what i remember there was nothing really wrong with it.

He just happened to find another with some options included that he liked better.

PPI and see....

As I understand it you probably want a Gen 2 987 (2009 onwards I think), the Gen 2 has a significant engine improvement which addresses much of the oil starvation issues that plagued the 996 and the Gen 1 Cayman.  The engine has four oil pumps as opposed to the two of Gen 1, consensus seems to be that this presents a much safer track day engine then the Gen 1.

I've done a bit of online research now.  Lots of good stuff on Planet 9 and Cayman Registry.

http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models#faq_2009caymans

Consensus seems to be that IMS risk on the Cayman S is very low, but obviously the Gen 2 eliminates it altogether.  I spend a lot of time in traffic so I also like the Gen 2 because it offered PDK and iPod/Bluetooth/better SatNav.  Not to mention +25 horse power!!

Gen 2 Innovations

Engine Crankcase New 2 piece crankcase makes RMS leaks much less likely Valve Drive Direct chain drive from crankshaft, no more intermediate shaft Fuel Delivery Cayman S gets Direct Fuel Injection, Cayman gets Multi Port Fuel Injection Lubrication Additional Scavenge Pumps, Variable On Demand Supply Pump Power Increase +25 BHP for Cayman S, +20 for Cayman New Standard Features LED Taillights, Brake Lights and Rear Fog Light LED Position / Daytime Running Lights Hill Assist anti Roll Back System Sound Package Plus on Cayman S now has 235 watts, up 55 watts from 2008 New Options Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission Limited Slip Differential HID Headlamps with Dynamic Cornering Lights Seat Ventilation Heated Steering Wheel Sport Bucket Seats Sport Chrono Plus w/PCM delivers Electronic Launch Control PCM 3.0 with Touch Screen Control, USB port and Aux input Universal Audio Interface for MP3 / iPod compatibility In Dash 6 Disc CD Changer XM Satellite Radio LED Door Storage Pocket Lighting Grilles for lower rear bumper openings

Archived