Importing P-cars from the UK - I'm English afterall!

Ok this might be a mute point, as with the prices in the UK generally higher than here and our Aussi dollar falling rapidly, it might not make sense.

But we do suffer from a lack of stock in OZ, so if you decide you want a particular model (especially aircooled), and you are lucky enough to have a European passport (mine UK), what's to stop you putting a P-car on a boat?

Well these are the current loop holes that potentially allow us burgundy passport holders a chance:-

Converting a vehicle to full Australian Safety and Emission Control Standards is very difficult and very costly, but is not required if one of the following conditions are met:

• The vehicle has been ‘Owned and Used’ for a minimum period of twelve calendar months prior to shipment from the originating country.
  • The vehicle was manufactured prior to 1st January 1989.
  • The vehicle to be imported was purchased new and was manufactured to the full Australian specification/standards.
  • The vehicle was originally manufactured or sold in Australia and still has its Australian Compliance Plate fitted.

the source: http://www.cargoonline.com.au/rulesregulations.php

The last three points seem pretty clear, put the first seems a little open to interpretation. In theory to 'own and use' I can buy a car in my name, register it in my name and I am done. Keep it there for 12 months and stick it on a boat. Cars are bought all the time and put in garages/storage/showrooms and never driven. The term 'used' seems a little strange. Why not 'driven?' Why not nominate a minimum mileage? It doesn't even qualify who needs to 'use' it? I could even pop back and put on a few kms myself (parents haven't seen me in a while)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone has tested this rule and imported a 'modern Porsche' (anything 89 and after) into OZ

Might be the shortest thread on hear - advice from Coastr

Personal import schemes...

You have to own and use the car in the country of origin for a minimum of twelve months. You have to be present in the country with no more than 3 months out of the country during the 12 months. The car will need proof of use, such as service records, parking permits, insurance papers and registration documents. You have to supply copies of your passport to prove residence. I think you also have to show a return to Australia if you're Australian, or, if you're not, some type of permanent (ie not tourist) visa.

The 3 month rule might be the sticking point here. Definitely not visiting the parents for that long..

But the rest - servicing, insurance, registration - easily sorted with a quick visit. 

Still interested if anyone has got around this

I would think the only way around this is to buy and register the car in someones name that you know is emigrating here in 12 months ..... friend, family member etc.

There are no restrictions on how long the car has to be here before it's sold on, so you could effectively "buy it" the day it clears customs .....

Someone that you trust :)

I see a niche business ....Might speak to my brother in law

If you read the document that was posted earlier, the rules changed in 2010 from 1 import every 12 months to 1 import every 5 years .....

So either you need to know A LOT of people that you can trust, or your potential business has just been shut down ....

I think there might have been a lot of people running around with dollar signs in their eyes from all the money they could make and the government could see the damage that could / was being done to the high end used car market ....

I would think the only way around this is to buy and register the car in someones name that you know is emigrating here in 12 months ..... friend, family member etc.There are no restrictions on how long the car has to be here before it's sold on, so you could effectively "buy it" the day it clears customs .....

We have a winner.

The Q. Is how many brother in laws... ;)

I know the import laws and changes etc. Idle fancy though a brother in law who runs an immigration and law practice ....hmmm

Turbot re: stock the UK cars are all been herded up and sent back to pastures Green in ole blightey or so rumour would have it

The Q. Is how many brother in laws... ;)

I know the import laws and changes etc. Idle fancy though a brother in law who runs an immigration and law practice ....hmmm

Turbot re: stock the UK cars are all been herded up and sent back to pastures Green in ole blightey or so rumour would have it

Makes sence. No one values them here so sending back to the uk for premium prices is what I would do. After of course I chopped one of them up and turned it into a dream p car..

turbo T,

I brought my car back via this set of rules. It was very time consuming and frankly a little more pricey than I imagined.

Firstly, the area of compliance with a Porsche is largely a moot point as most RHD cars are build to to same ROW specs in Stuttgart.

Secondly, once you do qualify through ownership for a year and then make the pre-approval request before shipping it you then need to find a way to get a "friendly" local valuation when it arrives.

Finally, using that valuation you still have GST and a million other charges to pay to the Federal body before you then get the privilige of paying stamp duty (for a car you already own) to the NSW treasury as well as all the other state charges.

Given my car was genuinely mine when we lived in Singapore.....so I had an attachment to it, but other wise it really is a pain in the ass.

Archived