Engine Series

Foyley

Gents,

I need your help to answer something that is puzzling me.

When I check my engine series numbers against the engine series number anywhere in the Porsche world I come up blank!

Here is why, my engine is stamped M44/55 and everything I can find or read states it stops at M44/52! so here in lies my question is what do I have?

I've built the engine as a 2.5 ltr Turbo from my 86 944T! it all measures as such!

So what do I have?

All help greatly appreciated!

Note ive gone and looked many times and its clearly M44/55 not 52

Do you have the following:

auto belt tensioner?

late oil pan? (has oil level sender on it)

mine says M44.LC which has caused a lot of issues while rebuilding it. 

a 86 has early engine. 

mine has early top end, late bottom end. i have auto tensioners, late oil pan and baffles. late balance shafts. 

this caused issues with balance shaft. bearing sizes are different. when installing bearings, trying to get upto torque we cracked the housing. 

many attempts on repairing housing after installed new bearings (correct ones) failed. As you cannot simply get another housing to work with another block. we had to get new housing and make it work. long process but one would need an engineering shop to do it. 

Pauly Yes to both of your questions.

I've had some minor issues during the rebuilding process but nothing to level you have experienced.

I'm about a week away from start up after the rebuild as I have to finish the rebuilding of the engine harness.

(no small job with all new plugs)

My question is more curiosity than anything as I can find no reference to these numbers!

Try asking on rennlist. But i couldn't get an answer for my self as no one knew what was going on. It's possible the engine bottom end has been changed. or when they change over from early to late, the car could be an in between car. 

Gents,

I need your help to answer something that is puzzling me.

When I check my engine series numbers against the engine series number anywhere in the Porsche world I come up blank!

Here is why, my engine is stamped M44/55 and everything I can find or read states it stops at M44/52! so here in lies my question is what do I have?

I've built the engine as a 2.5 ltr Turbo from my 86 944T! it all measures as such!

So what do I have?

All help greatly appreciated!

Note ive gone and looked many times and its clearly M44/55 not 52

Hi Foyley

Just to confirm - the engine number you're referring to, is stamped on the block at the rear on the exhaust side - starts M44/55 xxxxxxx?

If so, does it look kosher?  Nice clean characters, no blurring?

Foyley

Very nice and clear, but looks to be adjacent to the flywheel position sensors - not where mine is...

Here's a pic of where they're supposed to be...

77179.jpg

Have a look there while your engine's out at let us know what's in that location.

Cheers

Rob

Foyley

Very nice and clear, but looks to be adjacent to the flywheel position sensors - not where mine is...

Here's a pic of where they're supposed to be...

77179.jpg

Have a look there while your engine's out at let us know what's in that location.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,,

Ill have a look tonite but I don't recaal any numbers in that location

Earlier cars had the engine number at the back near the reference sensor bracket like Foyleys picture. Later cars had the engine number in the location as your is Rob. 1988> i believe was the change

Something is not right with that engine designation Foyley. M44/55 does not exist, or at least to our knowledge. Possibly someone had stamped the block wrong (Some new blocks come with no numbers and have to be stamped during assembly), possibly even a factory error? unlikely but you never know.

Regards

Sean

Thanks Sean,

My question is just more out of interest now but as you can see from the picture it looks to be original ! but who knows what happened back in 86?

Hi Foley,

i had a look at the 4 spare early engine blocks we have in the shop. they all look like this 

early%20944%20engine%20numberIMG_2649_zp

I would now say that it looks as if someone else other then factory has has stamped your engine number on. BTW i can't tell by your picture but is the area smooth or is it rough like the picture i just posted? very interesting either way, annoying for you though as it has an effect of making parts harder to identify

Regards

Sean

Sean,

It is similar to your picture but not as rough! The car was registered with this engine prviously so this shouldnt cause any issues for me but it is frustrating. just guessing what i have!

The engine specs reflect the 2.5ltr Turbo engine and all parts i have replaced had the same part number as those removed. so one can only assume that what i have is a standard 2.5ltr Turbo but as for what HP spec she is i dont have a clue without running on a dyno at some point! unless you have another way of telling what hp its rated at?

Archived