Cayenne Wheels/Tyres

Grungle

It looks like there are a few new (and old) Cayenne owners getting around here now, so I would like to get some info about wheels going.

A quick internet search reveals a 5x130 bolt pattern, Centre Bore of 71.6 and typical offsets of 49.

This size lines up with Touareg and Q7 wheels, so they appear to be interchangeable. I have seen a Touareg on Cayenne wheels.

Tyre sizes are supposedly from 235/65 R17 (base model) up to 315/30 R22 (Turbo), at least in the pre-2010 models.

Personally, as my Cayenne gets used a bit off road I'm looking to go down to an 18 inch all-terrain, from my current 20 inch highway terrains. I believe the S needs an 18 inch wheel to clear the brakes, but that's just based on the fact that they weren't offered with a 17 in that trim level. Are the brakes on an S bigger than the base model?

If anyone is interested in some kind of deal/swap for some 18s let me know. I don't really mind what they look like, as long as they fit.

Current tyres on mine are Momo A-lusion M9, "You know, like the steering wheels!" as the previous owner said to me...because I look for experience with leather goods when I choose my tyres. Anyway, they're ok, but I'm uncomfortable taking them off road much. I think they were cheap, but they seem to be lasting ok.

Seen anything that looks particularly good on the Cayenne? Is anyone aware of anything else that fits? 5 x 130 seems like an odd size?

What wheels are currently on yours? I was looking at purchasing some 20s soon and might be interested depending on what style. I can't help you with 18s as mine has the base 17s but there are a number of 18s and 19s currently on eBay and gumtree for around the 500 mark.

My car (in fully-jacked up mode):

DSC_4956.jpg

Not particularly inspiring wheels, but the gunmetal colour is nice.

Yeah, quite a few around on ebay/gumtree etc, but happy to swap if someone has some 18s they want to replace.

Yeah I've got 2 set of (turbo?) 20's both exactly the same. Neither of them I like all that much. I was thinking of using the 2nd set on a car trailer build so I had everything all the same.

Surly you can get a cheap set of 18's off gumtree for bugger all?

That will give you an increase in the overall circumference of the tyre, meaning that your speedo will read low (2287mm vs 2373mm - 3.76%) your speedo will read 100, but you will be doing almost 104 km/h - need to be careful not to get booked!

yeah i factored that in but stupidly had it the wrong way around thinking the speedo would read higher! Will have to tell the wife to stay off the loud pedal haha. Fortunately 4km isnt enough to get nabbed in SA. 

• 2 months later...

Been looking into this a bit more.

The local tyre shops are no help. One says he doesn't have anything suitable (and can't get anything). One quoted $750 each for some highway terrains that aren't what I want, and another is still looking into options. They have led me to do some more research, however.

I'm new to Porsches, so I had no idea about this n-rating for tyres. Based on my research it appears Porsche want to vet the rubber that goes on their cars. They supposedly perform a heap of their own testing and evaluate construction/compounds to see if they meet their requirements. The ones that pass get an n-rating. Funnily enough, no-one (that I can find) makes an all-terrain 18" or 20" tyre that achieves Porsche's an n-rating.

My other problem is speed ratings. The tyre placard says I need a Y-rated tyre (300km/h), and I'm never going to find an AT with that kind of rating. Some reading on the RTA website says that matching (or exceeding) speed ratings is "very strongly recommended", however the actual legal requirement is only that they have at least a 180km/h rating (S). So I think I'm covered there, as there are a few ATs with a 210km/h rating (H). Considering I plan to spend exactly zero time at 300km/h+ I'm ok with not having a 300km/h tyre.

So all of this has finally led me to Bob Jane, funnily enough, who I think can supply these:

general_grabber_at_all_terrain_tyres.jpg

It's a General Grabber AT, in 275/45 R20. 110 Load rating (I need 106) and H speed rating. I haven't got a price yet but the 18" version is about $290 or something, so it might not be too painful.

Spiller, any problems with the 45 profile on yours? These are also available with a 40 profile but I'd prefer the 45.

Changing to 18" wheels is still an option but if these are available they should do what I want them to.

EDIT: Just got the quote for the Generals - RRP is $389 but they'll do it for a super-special price of $349 each.

• 4 months later...

I gave up on the awesome Momos and fitted the General Grabber ATs today, in 275/45 R20. Also looked at the Nitto Terrain Grappler in the same size, but they looked a little more rugged than what I need. The Generals looked like the best balance for what I plan to do with them. As above, $349 each from Bob Jane. I think the Nittos were $10 cheaper each.

Pretty happy so far. A little  louder on the road. The speedo seems to be more accurate than with the old 275/40 R20s. Time will tell how they wear, but I'm happy so far. 

IMG_20151128_155318.jpg

Archived