930 Ownership

Beautiful examples fellas thank you for sharing the photos. I think the 930 is the best looking of all the classic designs, it's that timeless, muscular Porsche that a lot of us coveted from our bedroom wall posters in the 1980's. My son has a 997 GT3RS poster on his wall, coincidence........ 

Great stuff, enjoy them often, I wish I could put one in my garage B)  

Porsche set out to build 400 homoligation 930's so they could take a turbo charged car racing.

They had no idea if they would sell all of them all in the middle of an oil crisis, but did it anyway.

By the end of the production run of 400 they had orders flooding in for more.

It is believed there are less than 100 of those 400 remaining. There are less than 50 on the international 930 registry.

In 1975 they hand built 283 930's, the last 117 of the 400 where made up of 1976 ROW cars.

The 1976 cars had slight cosmetic changes and galvanizing. Shared the 930/50 engine the 1975 cars had, and where not built on a production line.

Only about 20 of the first 400 where RHD, the exact number is hard to pin down.

So how many RHD galvanized homoligation cars still exist? At least one....

Australian delivered, matching numbers and rust free, I found this dirty, unloved car for sale on the side of the road in a little country town almost 3 years ago.

I'm going through a preservation process that may take many years and love every minute of it.

It would be a crime to "Restore" the car. They're only original once.

backyard%20covert%20930.jpg

To me, the 930 is the quintessential Porsche. I love the wide-body and count myself very lucky to have two beautiful example of wide-body Porshes.

One's a real 930, the other a Carrera that was converted to wide-body somewhere along the line (but a good job).

I love them both and struggle to pick a favourite - they're such different driving experiences.

twins2_zpskqrw24ht.jpg

The 930 is a 8/88 build, one of the very last ROW 4 speeds. It has fantastic classic '80's special order interior - a long list on the options sticker - marine blue with lipstick inserts & piping and matching carpets & matts. All still there. It just feels good to be in. I'm tracking down an original steering wheel and gear knob to replace the momo items. Also looking for an original stereo.

IMG_3013_zpsalvfp2bw.jpg

Archived