Dreaming of a 911 3.2 or SC coupe...

Gav

Hi all, Im a long time Porsche fan finally in the position to buy my first 911. I've been keeping an eye on the market for many months but am struggling to turn up anything.

Im after a car I can keep until the day I die - not looking to resell for profits sake. Aus delivered is a bonus but not a necessity. Ideally less than $65k (is this getting unrealistic?...). Please PM any suggestions, all will be considered! Thanks 

$65k is a healthy budget - the issue is with supply at the moment.

as we have seen recently, some people will sell at less than max price if a fast, no hassle sale can be arranged.

Get familiar with your local workshops and ask around.  Also attend things like cars and coffee abd strike up conversations, you never know who you bump into.

You'll also need to develop your ability to spot a good one and move fast.  That means having your money ready and your decision making skills sharp.

good luck, if I didnt already have one I would probably have dropped out of the market by now.

And don't forget to factor in pre-purchase items like flowers, chocolates and pretty dresses so you can strike fast when a car comes up for sale. 

Same as Coastr, I also would have dropped out by now if I didn't get mine when I did.  Good luck.

Seen this?  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2829005/?Cr=3

Stew - that one has been discussed to death on the 'for sale in australia' forum.  Been for sale for over 12 months at the same price.  Clearly bid/ask spread is wide and market is not clearing that particular one.

I just checked Carsales and there are only 10 air cooled 911s for sale right now...10!

Of which:

- 2 are custom bodied coupes with extensive modifications

- 1 is a hideous 959 replica thing

- 2 are targas

- 1 is a convertible

- 2 are near enough to $100k or over

- 1 is a SC coupe (described above) which has languished on the market for a long, long time

The remaining one is this one which I have a soft spot for because it's so similar to mine and is fairly well priced assuming it checks out:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-3373653/?Cr=9

cp5119253492972778290.jpg?height=700&asp

You really aren't left with much choice.  Higher prices have absolutely sucked the supply out of the market.

I just checked Carsales and there are only 10 air cooled 911s for sale right now...10!

Of which:

- 2 are custom bodied coupes with extensive modifications

- 1 is a hideous 959 replica thing

- 2 are targas

- 1 is a convertible

- 2 are near enough to $100k or over

- 1 is a SC coupe (described above) which has languished on the market for a long, long time

The remaining one is this one which I have a soft spot for because it's so similar to mine and is fairly well priced assuming it checks out:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-3373653/?Cr=9

cp5119253492972778290.jpg?height=700&asp

You really aren't left with much choice.  Higher prices have absolutely sucked the supply out of the market.

Tell me about it! What I wouldnt do to rewind the market back a couple of years...

I would be all over this car if it wasnt a lefty. Just not sure Im ready for left hand drive. 

And don't forget to factor in pre-purchase items like flowers, chocolates and pretty dresses so you can strike fast when a car comes up for sale. 

Same as Coastr, I also would have dropped out by now if I didn't get mine when I did.  Good luck.

Seen this?  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2829005/?Cr=3

Haha noted! Ill be sure to stock up. 

Is a shame about this car. Looks great in the photos. From a distance. 

Well you've got budget for a RHD so no need to go for a lefty if it scares you.   It's absolutely no drama though and kind of fun as all us lefty drivers keep saying.  Also helps with parts because far more lefties made than righties.  Depends on how much you want a 911 - only the large of wallet or lucky of purchase get away with no compromises when it comes to buying a car.  I'll take a 10k discount to sit on the other side of the car all day long, but others see that as a terrible bargain.

edit: 'no' need

You do make a fair point. Its probably something I should put a bit more thought into. I havent seen any mention of this car on here yet, even though its been for sale for a few months now. Might have missed it but. 

Archived