Porsche Stories/Memories Australia

Kerry,

Suggesting a new FORUM - Porsche Stories/Memories Australia.

For members and owners/drivers to recount stories/memories/photos and facts on Porsches in Australia.

I have answered some questions from Vas on Allan Hamiltons Hillclimb racing plus added some memories of my own.Feel free to transfer these to the Forum if you decide it's a good idea.

It would be a great reference for Porsche History in Australia and encourage participation in creating it !

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Mark.

In 1978-79-80 I was crew for a mate Ross Mathiesen who bought a Jim McEwen 911 and converted it to 911 RSR spec and was racing against Peter Fitzgerald in his 2.7.Ross won the Championship in his first 2 years of racing and was 3rd in the year Allan Moffat won.My intro to Motorsport as a Teen was staying with a fiend of the family and driving his Cortina to the pits for scrutiny.It was fitted with a 302 V8 ! I would watch him race against Moffat-Coke Mustang,Jim McEwen 911,Bob Jane-Camero and Norm Beechy-Monaro 350.That left a lasting impression and working on and bedding in brakes on Ross's 911 gave me a love of P cars.

I am told in 1980 Allan Hamilton was using several cars in Hillclimb - the Porsche special,two Lola F3000 one Cosworth powered the other Buick V6 and a T87.He won the Australian Championship in the Lola Buick.

I believe the Porsche Specials engine returned to Germany - still not sure what type.He also may have had a 924 Turbo.

Waiting for some photos which I should be able to post but none of the Porsche special unfortunately.

I remember at Winton in the sport cars Moffat got ahead of Ross and the 911 3Lt being quicker in the corners would come to the back of the 934 Turbo and Ross a couple of times would tap Allan in the rear trying to get past.When they finished and parked the fibreglass front of Ross's car was all stoved in and Allans rear was hardly scratched.Ross said "how come yours is not damaged" and kicked it - to have the dong of Steel ring out.Ross said to Allan "I hope I wasn't upsetting you through the corners and Allan laughing replied "If anything you made me faster through them".

Cheers, Mark.

build up of paris/dakar 959 prototype in about 1989

built "after ours" in the porsche australia race dept

by myself and terry mcgarrigle for alan hamilton

now in the hands of lindsay fox

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

apologies for shitty pics

I had a friend working there about 86 and got to see hamiltons 917/30. What a car!

Were you there when they brought out the 962's to run in the race at Sandown? Awesome sight seeing them getting around the long course at Sandown.

Chris

yeah was involved in all the hoopla with the 956's,who was your mate?

funny story when they came back the 2nd time

one lunch, a group of us decided to go over to sandown

we where clad in our porsche overalls,and got to the gate who asked for our passes

we pretended to be german and not sprechen good english

they let us in reminding us to have our passes on us next time

on our way past gave them a good aussie thanks mate :D

good times

some of those "do's" were really laid on

Very funny about getting into Sandown, I can imagine that going on for sure.. Yes I guess it would have been 956's I wasnt quite sure but i do remember the cars going around Sandown. Is it true that they just drove the cars down Dandy Rd from the Porsche headquarters instead of loading them onto trucks or just a long tale??

Dave Banner was the guy I knew. i dont think he was there that long. He worked for Brents before he worked at Porsche.

Cheers

Chris

Hi all.

This is were my interest in motorsport and photography took off. Local car club events, Calder Park, Sandown and a connection to the 1968 London to Sydney Rally fuel the interest. Here is my earliest shot of a Porsche in action - 1969. Driver unknown but I believe this car was one that remained in Australia after the L-t-S Rally. Anyone with more accurate details??

rEd

Very funny about getting into Sandown, I can imagine that going on for sure.. Yes I guess it would have been 956's I wasnt quite sure but i do remember the cars going around Sandown. Is it true that they just drove the cars down Dandy Rd from the Porsche headquarters instead of loading them onto trucks or just a long tale??

Dave Banner was the guy I knew. i dont think he was there that long. He worked for Brents before he worked at Porsche.

Cheers

Chris

yeah they had permission to drive them to the track,should be pics somewhere.

i remember david banner,the hulk :D

Hi all.

This is were my interest in motorsport and photography took off. Local car club events, Calder Park, Sandown and a connection to the 1968 London to Sydney Rally fuel the interest. Here is my earliest shot of a Porsche in action - 1969. Driver unknown but I believe this car was one that remained in Australia after the L-t-S Rally. Anyone with more accurate details??

rEd

dr ian henderson owns it now.

still gets around in it ,with all the gear on, now and then

we do it's annual servicing

This the Hermann or Zasada 911?? - I saw one of these cars banging around the country competing in a Vic Rally championship, these cars were so tough. Growling through the forest, lights ablaze at 3am, stone guards catching rocks, sparks flying, through the creek and it was gone. Quite a memory for a young bloke. I was seriously impressed then.

Dr Ian's passion to restore Porsches is admirable. I saw this car a couple of years ago at a PCV night at Subaro interactive and recognised it immediately.

Also in the L-2-S Rally was a local Geelong fella called Rex Lunn, he competed in an XY GT Falcon (DNF'd with crook gearbox). His was one of 3 similar cars Rego KAG (801, 802, 803). I believe all still exist. Such trivia!!

Castrol with Evan Green filmed the event - ended up on DVD. A copy is safe in my hands.

rEd

Yep Dave was certainly a monster of a bloke. He was really dirty that he could notnfit into a Lamborghini contach that came into Brents for servicing. He actually gave me my first ride in a Porsche.

Good guy to have on your side in an argument.....

C

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Jnr, did you ever work on the Alan Jones 935 (1982)?

Does anyone know where it ended up?

my 1 st job in pca race dept was to put the engine and box back in that :D

think rusty french bought it,he still has a fleet i think and bought and sold some

post-123-131082473031_thumb.jpg

a young alan hamilton on the right,mckeowan on the left next to him beechey

Hi Jnr, Loving all your input ! That must be Norm's car they are leaning on.

Cheers, Mark.

Hey Jnr, did you ever work on the Alan Jones 935 (1982)?

Does anyone know where it ended up?

I remember sitting in it at the PI classic 3 years ago, having not seen it since 1980.

I thought it was sold overseas about 1 1/2 years ago ?

Mark.

build up of paris/dakar 959 prototype in about 1989

built "after ours" in the porsche australia race dept

by myself and terry mcgarrigle for alan hamilton

now in the hands of lindsay fox

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

apologies for shitty pics

I don't know how I missed this thread !

thanks Jnr, It was quite a joy for me to read this thread .

Mark

Archived