Porsche Stories/Memories Australia

In 1978-79-80 I was crew for a mate Ross Mathiesen who bought a Jim McEwen 911 and converted it to 911 RSR spec and was racing against Peter Fitzgerald in his 2.7.Ross won the Championship in his first 2 years of racing and was 3rd in the year Allan Moffat won.My intro to Motorsport as a Teen was staying with a fiend of the family and driving his Cortina to the pits for scrutiny.It was fitted with a 302 V8 ! I would watch him race against Moffat-Coke Mustang,Jim McEwen 911,Bob Jane-Camero and Norm Beechy-Monaro 350.That left a lasting impression and working on and bedding in brakes on Ross's 911 gave me a love of P cars.

I am told in 1980 Allan Hamilton was using several cars in Hillclimb - the Porsche special,two Lola F3000 one Cosworth powered the other Buick V6 and a T87.He won the Australian Championship in the Lola Buick.

I believe the Porsche Specials engine returned to Germany - still not sure what type.He also may have had a 924 Turbo.

Waiting for some photos which I should be able to post but none of the Porsche special unfortunately.

I remember at Winon in the sport cars Moffat got ahead of Ross and the 911 3Lt being quicker in the corners would come to the back of the 934 Turbo and Ross a couple of times would tap Allan in the rear trying to get past.When they finished and parked the fibreglass front of Ross's car was all stoved in and Allans rear was hardly scratched.Ross said "how come yours is not damaged" and kicked it - to have the dong of Steel ring out.Ross said to Allan "I hope I wasn't upsetting you through the corners and Allan laughing replied "If anything you made me faster through them".

Cheers, Mark.

Sorry Mark, i got caught up with this thread, thank you too.

It would be great if Jnr and yourself could come out and share some of theses stories over a quiet beer or two .....:)

Sorry Mark, i got caught up with this thread, thank you too.

It would be great if Jnr and yourself could come out and share some of theses stories over a quiet beer or two .....:)

That would be great,send a PM with contact details.

Cheers, Mark.

That's right Vas,

Beer, made of malted barley ususally consumed with chips or wedges ;-)

....im sure we can find a quiet place that will suit all taste buds.....:)

cheers

Mark

I'll drink to that !

Mark.

• 1 year later...

rsr originally raced by peter fitzgerald in the early 80's,reshelled(man that old shell was a mess)in porsche australia race dept in about 86/7

guillotine slides, the works

IMG_4462.jpg

more shitty pics

Hi Jnr,

Was that car originally his white 2.8 ?

Good to see history preserved !

I am available for a get together any time after the 10th for that beer we haven't had yet. Will let you nominate a time and maybe Vas,Mark and the two of us can get together ? PM.

Cheers,Mark.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I got to sit in a race car I hadn't seen for 33 years.

It was Ross Matheisens 911 RSR 3 lt Australian Sports Car winner (1977/78), that I had posted on above (formally Jim McEwens).

What a thrill it see it and all the associated parts that I used to work on.

The owner who bought it from Ross all those years ago has decided to restore it to that period and thru my articles above contacted me for info on the car and to be put in touch with Ross.

Any information on the car prior to 1977 would also be appreciated.

Will follow up with progress on the car.

Cheers,Mark.

• 4 months later...

build up of paris/dakar 959 prototype in about 1989

built "after ours" in the porsche australia race dept

by myself and terry mcgarrigle for alan hamilton

now in the hands of lindsay fox

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

apologies for shitty pics

i heard there's a feature on this in the latest unique cars mag

• 2 weeks later...