Winton test and tune day

JohnA

Well, i have this Friday off and a friend who i usually go cruising with, asked me if i'd like to join him at winton.

So this will be my first track day in my baby. Nervous as hell i must say, but also looking forward to it.

Weather looks like its going to be crap also, which doesnt help, so will just take it nice and easy i think.

Still, something i have always wanted to do, and maybe i should have done it in some of my cheaper cars first, but figured, if i dont give it a shot now, i'll most likely never do it.

Will report back on how the day went, and fingers crossed no major incidents

Winton is probably one of the best beginner tracks. It's easy to get started with but difficult to master as it's a slower track, with plenty of run off in most places and quite technical. It's also really good for spectating as it's easy to see most of the track.

Take Airhead's advice and watch some videos of other people who are doing decent times in a similar car. Take note of the lines they take into, through and out of the corners. Get those right and slowly leave your braking markers until later and increase your corner speeds.

Remember it's your first time out there and don't push it, slowly build your confidence. You don't want to have to pay for a tow truck back to Melbourne and then figure out how to rebuild your own car with your own cash. I'm sure a number of us here can tell you a number of stories about how people have stuck it into the wall through the S on their first time on track or with an unfamiliar car.

Enjoy it. Technical track + good car + clean lines = rewarding.

cheers for the tips guys, yep, have been watching plenty of videos, and will be taking it nice and easy. Not there to be silly or to prove anything.

i have also been told to add around 2 to 3 psi extra air in the tires, this true?

Thanks again

i have also been told to add around 2 to 3 psi extra air in the tires, this true?

What tyres are you running on and what are the Porsche recommended pressures for front and rears? Generally it's the other way around as your trying to increase grip/drag as you're on a more economical setting for fuel and wear of your street tyres.

For instance on the 996 with 18"s you would run 32 fronts, 36 rears compared to 36/42 for street and on semi slick's generally 30 all round - these are when hot, not cold.

Get yourself a tyre pressure gauge so you can take out some of the air after your first sessions as you will find your pressures will be extremely high as the track and your tyres warm up.

Up there a few weeks back sharing track space with an Erubus Mercedes SLS GT car. Interesting to say the least.

Yep I've been there on track with GT cars. They can appear in your mirrors from out of nowhere!

Here's a good one from earlier this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBp7fawasg

What tyres are you running on and what are the Porsche recommended pressures for front and rears? Generally it's the other way around as your trying to increase grip/drag as you're on a more economical setting for fuel and wear of your street tyres.

For instance on the 996 with 18"s you would run 32 fronts, 36 rears compared to 36/42 for street and on semi slick's generally 30 all round - these are when hot, not cold.

Get yourself a tyre pressure gauge so you can take out some of the air after your first sessions as you will find your pressures will be extremely high as the track and your tyres warm up.

Mike, i am running michelin pss 235/35/19 front and 265/35/19 rear.

porsche recommended pressures are 32psi front and 34psi rear

thanks for the tips

Mike, i am running michelin pss 235/35/19 front and 265/35/19 rear.

porsche recommended pressures are 32psi front and 34psi rear

thanks for the tips

30/32 hot I would try as well as 28/30. You will find during the session you will be running spot on 32/34 and slightly above if you've got your pressures sorted.

ell what an experience, we got there early, 8am. most people started rocking up around 8:30 - 9:00am.

was a nice quiet day with a mix of cars.

Let me say, for a total novice, and been my first ever track day, the nerves were certainly high. First session and just went around at a nice slow pace, just getting to know the track. By about the 3rd session out there, my lines were definately better and speed was improving.

It was at this stage that i really started to enjoy it.

Will have to do many more days, but i think my next couple will be at an organised day with instructors.

There were a couple other old school porsches there today, and if any were from here, sorry if i slowed you down :)

Archived