Spark plug tools .....help

Hughesy

Gday gents.  I'm going to tackle the plugs that have been in the unicorn for ten years tomorrow.  1980 911 SC ...Today I got all prepared only to find my existing spark tools won't do the job.  Too long , no angle etc.  SOOOOOOO !!!!

can the brains collective tell me what to buy tomorrow , oh and a pic or two would be greatly appreciated. 

Also any tips on removing STUCK leads 

thanks 

Hughesy 

I use a 3/8 drive plug socket. Then connected to that are 2 X 3" long - 3/8 extension bars. It's a little tricky and you need to feed them in on at a time. Once they are loose, I use a piece of 8mm fuel hose, about 6" long pushed over the end of the plug to unwind them. Use the fuel hose to start the new plugs. Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for the offer OZ, but got it sorted. Lost a bit of skin and am now a fully fledged contortionist. Shady great tip on the fuel hose. 

Got em out , hand cranked the motor , and all Pistons moved freely.  Added a dab of oil into each pot, connected the whacker packed and the little beauty turned over sweetly. 

Now to get the tank cleaned out , flush the lines etc and fire her up for the first time in years. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for feedback gents. 

Hughesy 

+1 on the original spark plug tool from the toolkit.  I'm sure that eBay examples must be available.  They work perfectly - such a great little tool.

Alternatively a correctly sized spark plug socket (with grabber rubber) and universal joint and short extension (or even a hand-driver if you have one).  I was doing the spark plugs on my bmws v8 last week and they are just as tough as the H6 porsche ones - but the combination of socket, universal and hand driver was great.  I then realised I had essentially recreated the standard porsche tool.

I found one here - seems like they are pricey : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Klein-21-Spark-Plug-Wrench-911SC-Carrera-1978-89-for-Tool-Kits-/201442418151

Archived