Oil leak or gunk?

zoooom

Mates, 

Long time stalker, first time poster. :P

Just looked under my porsche 986, saw some black stuff there. No oil spots on the floor, but is this a concern? It is located near the rear exhaust... 

20151010_170652.jpg

Its located in the center of the pic, just before the exhaust section.

Center.jpg

looks like an oil leak to me - with road grime and dirt and it's been there a while

if you're worried about it jack the car up or get it on a hoist, protect the important stuff from moisture then clean it and inspect for leaks.

it's a bit of a black art determining where oil leaks come from so you might need some professional asssitance

It's been 2000 from the last service. no oil spots on the parking space. could it be residual oil?

I would have thought they would have checked it out if it was there when they serviced it, and given you a report as to the problem.

Any oil residue visible like yours there, to me, is not a good sign, (but I am a panic merchant when it comes to these cars) and whatever it is it is only going to get worse over time/kilometres.   May be a simple fix.   

If it has appeared only since the last service, then I personally would be doing as Russ suggests, zap it all off, then keep an eye on it, to try and locate the source of the leakage.

No drips on the floor so sounds like it is getting blown backwards, keep checking your oil level  as well.   Also I would think you might be getting that burnt oil smell after a drive?

Hopefully someone else might come up with a better action proposal.....

personally, I couldn't live with it.   I'd be getting it checked out ASAP, just for piece of mind.

good luck with it and keep us all up to date if you could please.

If you don't have any spots on the garage floor, it's only because your car doesn't spend that much time there.

That much wetness is producing drips, maybe they all end up on the road, but dripping it is.

Do Boxsters have an under tray under there? That may be where all the drips are ending up.

As advice already given, get it on ramps (or one wheel on a gutter if no ramps), liberal amounts of degreaser and spray off.  Drive for a few days and check again.  A mechanics mirror and torch will help, but it's coming from somewhere.  One thing for sure, it isn't going to get better by itself.  Leaking oil can cover up other problems, so worth getting it fixed.

The pic is of the transmission, and looks like engine oil leaking and being blown backwards.

From what I've read, the Rear Main Seal on the engine is probably the most likely culprit - are there drips evident at the bottom of the gearbox, at the bottom left corner of your pic?

• 5 months later...

Archived