87 911 - stereo wiring harness plugs

Mike-S

I'm about to swap out the original eurovox stereo from my 911 and put in a modern blaupunkt, can anyone tell me what the plugs are into that unit so I can get hold of a wiring harness to plug n play with the new one? I'd assumed it would be a 16 pin to ISO connector, but if anyone knows for certain I'd appreciate it. I don't want to cut the loom in any way

Cheers

Mike

The answer to this is there isn't a plug & play wiring loom. ☹️ I've had 2 separate hifi installers sucking their teeth at it today and not being prepared to wire it up.

The Eurovox uses an ISO plug for the power feed and aerial trigger, but has a DIN plug for the speakers rather than an ISO plug, so to install a modern unit you need to bypass the DIN plug and (if fitted) the amplifier it goes into. After of course working out which wire is which speaker and wiring those into the new stereo loom.

Pain. In. The. Arse. That'll teach me to want choonz in the car.

• 1 month later...

Christmas break saw me sort this out.

Found the amp mounted under the dash behind the heater ducting, couldn't get to it at all but did realise the amp could easily be bypassed. Traced all the wiring out and realised Porsche Aus had just cut the original plug off, fitted a bunch of male/ female plugs to the original wiring loom and a very dodgy set of wires to the power / earth cables. An hour or so with the wiring diagram from the Bentley book had sound from 3 speakers, but no permanent power or antenna cable. Still haven't found those, annoying because the power aerial worked with the eurovox but the drivers door speaker is dead, must be broken wiring somewhere in the loom. Taped up all the now defunct cables for the amp and tied them up behind the heater ducting.

All in all, pleased to have music and the Blaupunkt Toronto 440BT isn't at all showy, looks quite good in the dash. Bluetooth works perfectly, great to have internet radio through it and the sound quality's not all that bad. Will upgrade the speakers at some point.

Why the bloody hell Porsche Aus fitted all this shite to it in the first place I've no idea. There's nothing wrong with the original Blaupunkt mine is listed as being delivered with and the install of the eurovox is nothing short of shoddy in my car, it would've taken some poor tech hours to strip out the gubbins under the dash to fit the amp in the first place. Still, I'll keep the eurovox for when I sell the car, someone might want to return it to standard.

From what I understand about the stereos in our cars is the following:

If it was an Aus delivered car, they were shipped here witout a radio / cassette fitted. The preferred supplier to Porsches at the time was Eurovox and were they fitted to quite a few other  manufacturers as well ......

The radios were dealer fitted, not Porsche company fitted .... I would assume they were given a rebate to get this done by the local radio installer. This would also explain why there are cases of different original radios fitted from different dealers. You could probably "upgrade" it at time of sale if you wanted something a bit more fancy ...

This might explain the cost cutting / backyard jobs that some of us find with the radios. Who knows,  they probably gave the pre delivery guy the set of instructions that came with the stereo and said .... "wire it up" ..... cheaper still ....

Interesting. Mine's definitely an Aus delivered car, decoding the numbers under the bonnet my car's listed as being delivered with a Blaupunkt stereo, but of course that could just mean it had the wiring. 

Still a shoddy install, can't believe the location of the amplifier.

I am also about to upgrade the outdated (mid-90's) Sony head unit/stacker in the SC with a Toronto 440. Did you install the external microphone too or is the in-built mic in the head unit good enough during calls??

Cheers, 

Brendan

I don't have it, but I'd install the external mic if you can get one. Tried it without and although SWMBO could hear me, I expect with a bit of wind noise it'll be drowned out. Bear in mind the head unit is quite a distance from you (and I have a targa, not coupe)

Archived