Chicken/Egg PPI or inspect first

Hi Folks

Looking to buy another PORSCHE, all the good one's seem to be interstate.

So do you fly down to have a look first, or get a PPI first to make sure all is good?

If I look first, might like it and buy it, even with a bad PPI, you know the whole "love is blind" thing.....

But then a PPI is probably $5/6/700 do you spend that, when a look might turn you off anyway.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

cheers

John

(Brisbane)

Guest vas930

Hi John.

Best to have a look first to see if you want to get a PPI.

If you know someone close to the car, get them to have a look to see if its worth going on with it.

If you find a car in Vic and dont know anyone to have a pre inspection look, send me a PM.

I would be happy to go out and have a look for you and report back.

Then you can decide if you want to get that PPI.

Hope this helps. :) Vas.

Interesting question John.

There are other factors that need to be considered, but in general, and assuming you have the time, I'd go to see/inspect first, negotiate a price subject to PPI, then PPI before deal completion.

After your own inspection you'll just have to make sure that you don't fall in love with the car ;) Easier said then done :lol:

At the end of the day if you choose your time well you can probably get a Jetstar return airfare for cheaper than the PPI.

You might rationalise it like this:

If you are looking for a cheap or project car, it prob wouldn't make sense to fork out the $500 odd dollars for multiple PPIs. You'd probably be better off viewing them in person, and then organising a PPI once you've found one that tugs at your heartstrings.

For a more pricey or aspirational car, the vehicles are usually few and far between, and tend to sell relatively quickly. Chances are that if you wait to see it in person, you might well miss out, and so a quickly organised PPI is the key.

What vintage/model/price are you considering?

Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts so far,

VAS, thanks for the offer, I see you are in Rye, bit of a drive up to Melbourne??

f3nr15, Started by looking at a 76 Carrera 3.0 Targa but couldnt get the deal done, then

a 68 911 coupe (non original motor) LHD-->RHD conversion. As you can see will consider most,

looking at condition rather than a particular model.

While nothing is ruled out, would prefer a Coupe rather than a Targa, prefer manual not sporto.

Love the long hoods, however appreciate a 3.2 carrera is probably more "sensible".

Also original RHD, unless it's a particularly good conversion which a PPI should pick up.

I am in no hurry, can wait for the right car at the right price.

thanks again

John

Douglas,

Budget is shrinking rapidly, I was using the money from the sale of the 914, along with

some funds from an investment we have. However that investment has dropped 12% in a WEEK.

So the original plan was to keep it south of $50K, but take at least 12% from that.

As i said, in no hurry, so unless something outstanding comes along, maybe its prudent we wait till we get over

this GFC mark 2.

cheers

John

That's an interesting price range.

Many of the manual coupe 911's in that range are high milers, imports or need a bit of work.

As a general rule I would have to advise that the long bonnets, as beaultiful as they look, do tend to require continuous work. If you're not handy this means a bit of money is required on an ongoing basis for maintenance.

You never know GFC Mk II may create some opportunities for the cashed up buyer.

Doug

I bought my porsche based on a few photos - LOL

Silly yes - but the seller had sold alot of cars and had good feedback.

When i got it from interstate - george cairns said the owner use to send him the

engine and box for servicing and was blown away by what i paid - car runs fine.

So i scored - wouldnt recommend it as its alot of money to throw down.

murf

Archived