Cayenne Gearbox/Diff/Engine Oils

Russ

Okay, so doing some research before taking the plunge - anything I buy I'm going to change all the fluids.

Anyone have any information on differential and gearbox oils for the Cayenne? Apparently most manuals say 'return to dealer' when it comes to fluids, but it can't be that bad (Porsche genuine is over $100 a litre for gearbox oil :o:o)

Anyone got any hot tips on what brands/fluids to run? According to my research the differential oil is a SAE 75-90 synthetic, anyone got any tips on what to run? and what current owners are running?

Gearbox oil I found on the web is per below - good place to start I guess - There is a service bulletin referring to ESSO 3309 (who knew ESSO was still going?!)

post-1-1264350140.png

I assume it's now Mobil?
http://www.mobil.com/AP-English-LCW/carengineoils_au_transmission-products_mobil-atf-3309.aspx 

Russ,

I assume the transmissions in these are ZF's?  If so the ZF website has a list of approved oils for each transmission types in addition to their own branded fluids.  I suspect Porsche only recommend Esso because of their commercial arrangement with ExxonMobil.

Not that this is of any help but I asked Porsche Centre about the gearbox service, they said the books don't recommend changing until 160,000 kms! I thought that was ridiculous even for a car that never sees a trailer in its life so I'll probably supply some oil and get them to do it at the next annual service. 

• 11 months later...

I'm about to do this, bought a filter + o ring + pan gasket for $50 out of the US. Just need to find a local source of ESSO/Mobil JWS 3309

Fairly good video on the procedure here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dgHlz3_3jc (although I won't be using the Toyota fluid he's suggesting... it seems like a bit of a gamble to save a small amount of money)

Having the transmission fluid at 40degrees might be fairly difficult without a PIWIS or Durametric though!

Archived