Oils aint oils (apparently)

HECTOR

Hi forum,

This seems to be a question that has been asked over and over again but since there are no other Q & A here Ill start.

I have just bought recently a 1985 carrera 3.2 and want to know peoples experiences with different brands of oil.Synthetic or non synthetic ? Under the engine cowl I have a Shell oil sticker which looks to me to be factory placed and was wondering if this is or was what Porsche were using and recomending for these engines.If so I assume that this was for new engines and is there a better brand for used engines (approx 300,000klm but only done 18,000 since rebuild).Also does anyone use any kind of additives either in there oil,engine or fuel systems and for what purpose.

Thanks in advance for any info,hopefully this will start an interesting discussion.

Phil

Guest vas930

No need to move away from what the factory used or recomended.

Fuel additives eg: octain boost in stock engines with stock comp ratios is a waste of money.

Good oil, I like Mobil.

Good clean 95/98oc fuel.

You cant go wrong. :)

Hi Phil,

Nice choice of car :P

I also have an Aus 3.2 and have been using:

* 95 octane fuel.

* 20-50W mobil oil as suggested by my mechanic (non-synthetic).

I must say, with over 200,000km on the clock, I have been suprised to see the oil is crystal clear just before each service. Not sure if that's oil choice or just good quality Porsche filters/engineering ;)

Cheers,

Stepo

We use Elf oils and have had very good results and comments with them!

The two oils we use are the Elf comp 15w50 semi synthetic in all models. Some people specify they want a full synthetic which is when we use the Elf Excellium 10W40. Both are excellent oils and have very good body and maintain the oil pressure very well

We use Elf oils and have had very good results and comments with them!

The two oils we use are the Elf comp 15w50 semi synthetic in all models. Some people specify they want a full synthetic which is when we use the Elf Excellium 10W40. Both are excellent oils and have very good body and maintain the oil pressure very well

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Does anyone know much about oil brands such as Fuchs or Swepco ?

• 9 months later...

I've spent hours today reading through oil threads, looking for a simple answer as to what is the most suitable oil for a 993.

From what I've read there are good reports on Mobil-1 15W/50, Brad Penn 20W/50 & Swepco 15W/40.

I know the Swepco is available locally in Melbourne (Neil), but the Mobil-1 is almost impossible to find and I haven't started looking for the Brad Penn yet. Anybody use these and where do you source them?

Thanks

Archived