Looking for a 944 Gearbox.

Timm

Thanks Pauly and Rob.

Looks like aPorschaPart may have some in stock, so I'll see how much they want for them. I noticed they also have a 968 six speed. Can anyone comment on what the six speed feels like in a 944 Turbo? And is it a direct bolt in?

I'll also give DHM a call.

Hi Timm

As you may have seen from my direct experience between the 5 and 6 speed options, I prefer the 5 speed. The 6 speed isn't a super difficult installation but it's not a direct bolt in. 

You also need different rear axles. I'd spend the money on a good 5 speed personally. PorscheApart are notoriously expensive. I know you've been in touch with Buchanans. Not sure if you've asked if they have one? Maybe also ask on Rennlist. User 'Thingo' might just have a spare gearbox somewhere. 

Thanks Patrick. Yeah I thought as much, with our broad torque curves I guess there is no need for a close ratio box. I had a six speed and very high ratio diff (4.3:1) in my old S13, but it was fun there because it was a high revving cammed N/A that lived it's life near redline lol. The 951 is the complete opposite though, I use the torque to get out of corners, and avoid staying at high rpm for too long...mainly also to avoid the dreaded number 2 bearing failure. That said, I have been looking at the S2 ring and pinion mod with great interest....depending how much the gearbox repairs cost I may spend some extra on doing that upgrade while I'm in there, as it will help with some of the corners I am bogging down in a little bit at the moment, but that are still too fast to shift into 2nd. I remember in some old threads you and others were saying that it really makes the 951 come alive, so it's definitely on my list of improvements that I want to make.

Like I said on rennlist, I wouldn't mind doing the guard lsd as well, but that will most likely have to wait till another time. I also already have half of the only944 shifter and linkage set here, so I will source the rest of it and do that while the box is out, and I'm also planning on filling the gearbox mount in with urethane. That should really sharpen up the shift feel. Any other things you can think of that I should do while I'm in there? I've kind of accepted that the car will off the road for a while now...so might as well do everything I can while the box is out. 

AporschaPart hasn't replied to me yet anyway, so I'll keep looking elsewhere for a new box. I haven't directly asked Buchanan's if they have a spare box...I guess I should do that once I find out the extent of the damage in mine. Bruce recommended against a 2nd hand box though, which is a fair point as I wouldn't know how worn out it might be. However, if the cost of tools and spare parts is more than a second hand box, I will probably just get a second hand one, at least I know it will work for a while then. There's always the chance I make a mistake during the rebuild, and then I'll have wasted a lot of money and still have no gearbox...

Archived