Front spoiler

webrest

Hi all,

As everyone with a low slung car with a spoiler knows these suckers are prone to abuse at any time.

Particularly if that car is a 911, you have to be aware of it at all times.

Well the sad fact is that I did give mine a rub recently that caused damage. I didn't tear out a chunk but it was well on the way needing an effective repair.

One way of course is too just throw it away and buy another.I have just checked Pelican and the cost to do so is $356US.

Not really an option for me

Harking back to days previous I remembered a marvelous product called Sikaflex #221. This is the product used in the trade to repair or affix such things as spoilers.

Believe me, this stuff is very strong as well as being pliable.

During repair it occurred to me this is probably going to happen again what if a chunk was actually torn out?

Why not run a good wide bead along the rear of the spoiler and it will almost certainly stop this ever reaching a crisis point. So I did

Well to cut a long story short I now feel comfortable in the fact that my 911 is wearing a prophylactic to avoid nasty accidents.

I have no ties with Sikaflex and the product can be bought in many trade stores for about $26.

Good insurance I feel.

DaveDSCF2391.jpgDSCF2394.jpg

Hi Dave,

Did you actually get your front spoiler repaired?

Does it look like new?

I also have a chunk that got taken out and I have managed to glue it back in, but doesn't look the best. You can still see the crack and scratches :( .

For $356 I'm thinking a replacement spoiler is in order.

Can anyone comment on aftermarket Pelican Parts spoiler fitment? Is the $1000 extra for OEM worth the cost, wouldn't think so :huh: .

Cheers,

Stepo

The PP chin is fine mate.

Its the only non gen part I put on my 930 resto.

Why pay $1400 for something that may only last a short time.

It looks the same and does the same job.

And even has the porsche stamp on it.

Fit is spot on, go for it. :)

Hi Dave,

Did you actually get your front spoiler repaired?

Does it look like new?

I also have a chunk that got taken out and I have managed to glue it back in, but doesn't look the best. You can still see the crack and scratches :( .

For $356 I'm thinking a replacement spoiler is in order.

Can anyone comment on aftermarket Pelican Parts spoiler fitment? Is the $1000 extra for OEM worth the cost, wouldn't think so :huh: .

Cheers,

Stepo

No problems, nothing like a new one, pretty hard to make a 26 year old damaged and repaired one look as good.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to fitting a new front spoiler supplied via PP and fitment was great! Double the estimated time spent to install as the nudge bar and AC condenser needed to be removed to access stubborn bolts :wacko: .

As per Dave's recommendation, purchased the Sikka and applied for extra strength, but plan on staying well away from those nasty gutters.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Archived