Searching for G-Series radio bezzel ..?

P-Kay

Greetings my learned PFA community,

When I replaced my radio in my SC, I noticed that it sat proud on top of the dash padding. Being an air-cooled nube, thought it a little peculiar, but dismissed it and accepted that is 'how it was' Not sure it is of relevance, however it is a Blaupunkt Cupertino

Now that I have become a little more knowledgeable (maybe dumber) and taken note of all the other cars, I have seen what appears to be a bezzel that sits around the padding and the radio sits within the bezzel providing a finish that is virtually flush.

A picture paints a thousand words, so enough of my waffling and please click here--> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqe5a6ycw75gw1w/radio.jpg?dl=0

So, to my untrained eye, I see a bezzel or is it in fact a pressing in the padding that gives the illusion of a surround?

I have looked in the KATALOG and can only find the radio blank off plate.

Am I trying to find Rocking Horse Sh*t?

If you're referring to the small recess (about 3mm wide x 1mm deep) that runs around the opening, that's a feature of the dash.  I don't know how the original radio sits in there.  Maybe a cradle similar to modern units.  But that radio doesn't quite look like it's meant for that opening.  And if you install a radio delete panel it sits inside that register and against the back face of it.

I'll take a photo of it for you, mine has the insert (as I believe you saw at Sandown a couple of weeks ago ;) )

It was a fairly tight fit around the Eurovox when I took it out and is clearly there to fill a 3mm wide gap around the stereo, but it's a loose fit both in the recess and around the new Blaupunkt I've installed. Without the insert though it would look daft, as you'd be able to see unfinished dash round the outside of the stereo. Perhaps this was just an Oz part, but it's a black metal piece and isn't attached to the dash in any way other than by interference.

I swapped out my dodgy after market stereo for the original blaupunkt a while back - but it sat proud of the dash pad which I thought was a bit odd. Anyway, today I was playing with it and realised I could push it in further so it is pretty much flush. So, I think there's nothing but the recess that the stereo sits in. I've attached some pics below.

IMG_6277_zps521xqr6l.jpg

IMG_6276_zpszwbzqsj1.jpg

IMG_6275_zpsk49aknn1.jpg

IMG_6274_zps0uv81md0.jpg

Is that part of a cradle that the radio sits in?

Nah, the radio slides into a cradle that's inside the dash and locks in there, which is why you need the 2 removal tools that insert into the tabs on either side of the radio.

It's a separate piece.

IMG_0282_zps8dt7pt5r.jpg

Yeah, probably if the vehicle was fitted with the optioned Blaupunkt at the factory it wasn't required. It looks like the hole was widened to accommodate the Porsche/Eurovox radios fitted by the dealers in Aus, then the surround was added to fill it in.

Archived