Targa roof rebuild

Mike-S

Has anyone had a targa roof completely rebuilt in Melbourne and would care to share the experience / cost?

Now I'm using it, the 29 year old original roof on mine has split in 5 places on the outside, the headliner's defied all my efforts with spray glue to keep it in place, it whistles like buggery and to top it off, it started leaking a couple of weeks ago so the roof needs a complete rebuild. I have an opportunity to take it to Dan Petchel at Cars Inc in New Jersey in a couple of months, according to the Pelican forums he's "the man" to rebuild them and for ~$1800AUD all up it seems a good price. 

It does mean I won't be able to bring back a set of SSI's in my luggage, but then again keeping the rain out is probably more important.....just.

Timing wise it looks like I'll be getting him to ship it direct back to Melbourne as it's 7 days to get it to California where we'll be unless I take one of his rebuilt exchange tops. Did those who used his services have their own tops rebuilt or was it an exchange one? I'm nervous about taking an exchange one in case there are fitment issues, I know my roof fits properly.

Seals, I'll get the windscreen top seal from him. His email this morning states the left and right top seals are OEM porsche anyway, so I may as well get them locally. OEM are pricey ($530US / $760AUD)

• 1 month later...

In Sydney you have the option of taking it to Pro Stitch, he quoted me $1500-2000 for a rebuilt hood, but wanted the car there as well to make sure the fit was good. Saw his work at Rennsport, was very impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

The roof arrived back at NineAuto yesterday, I popped in this morning to check it out and drop off the 2 sets of roof seals I picked up while in the US. The roof is perfect, fab finish, very tight on the front, sides & rear, so once the new seals are fitted it'll be cock on. Well worth taking it on holiday and diverting to NJ on the way. Dan's also an incredibly nice bloke to chat to, probably in his late 70's, works from his house and reckons he's got over 200,000 spare parts for all ages of air cooled 911's so if there's anything you're after he's worth an email. I bought a barely used tyre compressor still in its box for not many $$$'s. His own collection of 911's is also quite impressive (23 of them!)

The roof arrived back at NineAuto yesterday, I popped in this morning to check it out and drop off the 2 sets of roof seals I picked up while in the US. The roof is perfect, fab finish, very tight on the front, sides & rear, so once the new seals are fitted it'll be cock on. Well worth taking it on holiday and diverting to NJ on the way. Dan's also an incredibly nice bloke to chat to, probably in his late 70's, works from his house and reckons he's got over 200,000 spare parts for all ages of air cooled 911's so if there's anything you're after he's worth an email. I bought a barely used tyre compressor still in its box for not many $$$'s. His own collection of 911's is also quite impressive (23 of them!)

the shame of it is that guys like this are not going to be around forever, then who will fix the targas?

Archived