Brake dust.....tips to remove.........

PeterP

Folks,

any tips on removing brake dust? To be hones this has nothing to do with my Porsche. My R32 has a reasonable set of brakes on it but the alloys seem to attract the dust and its a pain to remove........

I'm sure this applies to any alloys, so any hints would be greatfully appreciated.

And a Merry Xmas to all the forumites.........

cheers

Peter :)

Guys,

thanks for that. Vas is this something that needs to be professionally done? I heard there was a place in richmond that could refurbish or polish my Fuchs, and wonder if they do the coating as well. I probably need to get the R32 wheels refurbed anyway as the dust seems to be impossible to remove....

apppreciate the help, will let you know what happens,

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Best way to approach your R32 wheels are as follows:

Buy an acid free wheel cleaner. It's important to buy an acid free cleaner, so you don't damage your clear coat. Now spray around the entire wheel and let it sit for a few minutes so that the cleaner soaks up the dirt. Then using a microfibre wash mitt or proper wheel cleaning brush, start scrubbing the wheels. Be sure you also concentrate on the inner barrels and behind spokes. Then using a high pressure hose, rinse off.

If you still find yourself with a wheel showing hideous stains and harsh tar marks, you need to remove your wheels and clay them, polish them and wax them. If you aren't sure what the best method of claying/polishing/waxing the wheels are, feel free to PM me and I can provide an in depth write up.

Once your wheels are waxed, you will notice cleaning process will be MUCH easier.

Tip - Ensure you clean your wheels at minimum, weekly, or every 3 days. If you are doing long road trips, you are best to clean them daily to avoid harsh build up of road grime, tar, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Archived