993 AND 964 G50 - TT Gearbox Discussions

symsy

After a running around a million forums ..I have arrived into to deep confusion just for a change

Anyone out there who can tell me , other than gearing , general strength experiences with G50 and or suggestions on upgrades and an if you have come across a good discussion on what power could/should  be put through them.

Looking at approx 370bhp.. obviously a TT box would do it but they aint exactly abundant and to be honest I cant see how the factory have upgraded them over a normal one.

Wanna bolt up to a 993 motor ..not my TT..

of course open to a 915 too...

Any infos on LSD would be nice to if you gotta a juicy source 

Cheers

The Kid says

I've just converted my 993 Tipper to a manual. Over the moon with the end result and with the differential in prices between to Tipper and Stick it made financial sense also.  It took me almost 2 years to find an Aussie 993 6spd and all the associated components for the conversion. Looked offshore and while they are more abundant in the US they different (taller) ratios. As part of my search locally I missed out on a 993 TT box but that would have necessitated a new nose cone (4WD to 2WD). On the plus side the Turbo box does have steel syncros.  That's not a big deal as the standard 993 manual box can handle a lot of power. Guys in the US put big torque big HP Chevy small block V8's  behind a G50.

Cheers

Thanks guys 

Now to hunt one down ..but if I were to rebuild ..go the steel syncros is what Im getting …from you , I must say I have got might used to the box in my TT and I hardly ever use 6th but so 5 would be plenty

Alot of differential on this subject... And plenty will talk from both sides of their.. ( in no way saying this applies to above comments ) 

steve , forgot too ask what car you jammin this in? Mid ships 914 , mid engine g series conversion with 996 suspension... Or a? 

Asking as getting a G-50 while patience rewards you - though there is one on eBay now - fitment too earlier cars requires a thin blade 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/312790-how-much-power-can-915-really-take.html

Archived