A45, RS3 or M140 for daily?

I'm returning to Sydney from O/S early in the new year and thinking what to pick up as a daily driver.  Anyone have experiences with the A45 , RS3 or new M140? Informed opinions welcome too :D  The A45 seems to have the benefit of being able to pick up a 2/3 year old one and saving a fair bit of coin. 

Cheers,

Scott

My best mate has an AMG A45, it is his daily driver and it is brilliant.

Well made, fast, sounds great, fast, handles like it's on rails, comfortable, fast. He looked at the RS3 when he was buying and decided on the A45. Hasn't regretted a day of owning it. Use the launch control and find out how big you really can smile. 

IMG_1866 (640x480).jpg

Ride quality is fairly personal but its not bad, I like a firm ride. Comfort mode is plush and soft, similar to any new comfort sedan. Face lift is worth it for the better gearbox, engine and aesthetics IMO. There are quite a few differences. I also have the optional mechanical LSD which is a must have if you do any spirited driving with it. Mine gets driven properly (even though its my daily) as I live in the Adelaide Hills.

Ride quality is fairly personal but its not bad, I like a firm ride. Comfort mode is plush and soft, similar to any new comfort sedan. Face lift is worth it for the better gearbox, engine and aesthetics IMO. There are quite a few differences. I also have the optional mechanical LSD which is a must have if you do any spirited driving with it. Mine gets driven properly (even though its my daily) as I live in the Adelaide Hills.

Thx.  Certainly sounds like the update model is the one to go for. I'm sure my wife will appreciate the 'comfort' setting, even if I don't. 

Golf R?

Golf R not quite in the same league. About 100hp down on each of these. 

Thx.  Certainly sounds like the update model is the one to go for. I'm sure my wife will appreciate the 'comfort' setting, even if I don't. 

Golf R not quite in the same league. About 100hp down on each of these. 

Yeah the various drivemode settings really add to the car over the older model IMO. 

I can vouch for the Beemer.  I had a 2013 M135i for 2 years.  Was $82k new loaded, I picked it up for $60k 12 months, 20,000km old.  Straight to Southern BM for Quaife LSD, M Perfomance exhaust and tune/chip (380hp claimed).  The LSD just transformed the car, imaybe available from factory on M140?  LSD is a must, exhaust was nice and chip made a fast car faster but not necessary.   cracking road car.  Tracked it once at Winton and found it quite soft and brakes cooked but on road it was great.

Personally I prefer RWD over AWD and turbo 6 over 4 but haven't driven A45 to compare.  And at the time, A45s were thin on the ground and $90k so it was a no brainer.

Only sold it to get into something more family friendly, less likely to shred my licence and better suited to visiting construction sites regularly (Q7 with rubber floor mats fits the bill despite being boringly capable!)

I can vouch for the Beemer.  I had a 2013 M135i for 2 years.  Was $82k new loaded, I picked it up for $60k 12 months, 20,000km old.  Straight to Southern BM for Quaife LSD, M Perfomance exhaust and tune/chip (380hp claimed).  The LSD just transformed the car, imaybe available from factory on M140?  LSD is a must, exhaust was nice and chip made a fast car faster but not necessary.   cracking road car.  Tracked it once at Winton and found it quite soft and brakes cooked but on road it was great.

Personally I prefer RWD over AWD and turbo 6 over 4 but haven't driven A45 to compare.  And at the time, A45s were thin on the ground and $90k so it was a no brainer.

Only sold it to get into something more family friendly, less likely to shred my licence and better suited to visiting construction sites regularly (Q7 with rubber floor mats fits the bill despite being boringly capable!)

Thanks DJM. Great input.  The M135 sure looks like a bargain at the moment for about $40k for a decent used example. Throw in around $8k for LSD, exhaust, tune and  maybe brake upgrade and that would be one cracking little car. 

Archived