Aged tyres

ANF

Found this article, a few years old and US centred but some useful info non-the -less.

http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/ttwheels2.htm

After a Very spirited drive on the weekend there are no grip issues at all with my "old" PS3s, there still seems plenty of life in them yet! I will most likely look to replace next year.....

Proves that in my original post, that up to 10 years is achievable, Michelin say so, and they know a thing or two about tyres..... 

Would new tyres on my car have more/ better grip? Most likely. Are my current tyres lacking in grip or dangerous in any way, No!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My POTENZA RE050A have done 23,000, which isn't to bad.   A fair amount of that being hard driving.  

The Cayman like the Coxster, seems to chew the inside rears out a lot quicker than the rest of the tyres.

Tyre pressures as per recommendations....

It normally equates to about two sets of rears to one set of fronts.  

I was thinking of getting just two new rears, but apart from the fact it looks like the RE050A's are going to be hard to get....

I had a good look at the fronts and although the tread is pretty good the outside shoulders have taken a fair battering.

So I bit the bullet and decided on 4 new ones before the good weather gets here and many SMT's hopefully.

I have ordered a set of Michelin PS4S's and I think the price is pretty good for the calibre of the tyre.

I also mentioned that the inside rears have chopped out on the current ones, and the chap knows the problem and told me he can fix it.

Woo hoo, if he can.  

The company I am going to use do all the tyre work for PCM and have come highly recommended from other PFA members.

Anyways they go on this Friday.

Stand by for a report after the next SMT....   Have to say from what I have heard about them they sound pretty damn good.   I'm excited.. 

Just picked up my BBC from Donnellan's in Collingwood, now with a set of PS4S's on it.  

Have to say even the ride home was much different than the POTENZA RE050A's.

The POTENZAS were always harsh and drummed/noisy all the time, badly when they were cold.

Even Mrs NIKO would pick it up and comment.

MICHELINS have virtually no noise coming through and ride feels more "comfortable"

So far only freeway driving, but definitely a noticeable difference.

Tyre pressures were interesting.    I was running the Porsche recommended 32F and 34R with the POTENZA's.

Rocky from DONNELLAN's says to run the new ones at 36 and 42.

They also have adjusted up the rear of my car big differences from initial setting to final settings in all departments.

Front....Left and right......Caster/Camber/Toe

Rear...left and right.........Camber/Toe

Certificate supplied re settings etc.   He tells me the new settings should cure the inside rear wear problem.

Great Service.... Good Price...Great tyres ( well I will find out on the first SMT)

Rocky had also heard of the forum (PFA) and was stoked that people had mentioned his business on it.

You have chosen well Niko! http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Car-and-Driver-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

"1st: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
Total: 149 / Dry: 80 / Wet: 34 / Subjective: 19 / Comfort: 4 / Noise: 5 / Cost: 7
Overall: The Pilot Sport 4 S bundled the test’s highest lateral grip and shortest stopping distance into the only sub-30-second lap time. That betters the next-fastest tire, Pirelli’s P Zero, by 0.5 second.
In driving, speed usually grows as confidence grows, and this Michelin exemplifies that idea. The Pilot Sport 4 S assures the driver with its tenacious grip, stellar lateral stiffness, and progressive at-the-limit behavior. It is easy and rewarding to drive aggressively, and it allows the driver to return to full throttle earlier than any other tire in this test.
Out in the real world, the Michelin demonstrated a subtle tendency to follow grooves in the road. Otherwise, the Pilot Sport 4 S is as docile in traffic as it is around a racetrack, never hammering down imperfections nor singing on the smooth stuff.
As with the Pilot Super Sport, Michelin is likely to be faced with so many automakers eager to fit the 4 S to their sports cars that it will turn customers away. Fortunately, you don’t need Michelin’s approval to fit your car with Pilot Sport 4 S tires."

Thanks for that.   They are really good reviews.;)

I know its hard to get a good feel for the tyres driving about 50 k with a bit of street but mainly freeway.... 

but It really was a vast improvement.   Can't believe how soft on the road they feel and virtually no road noise.:D

I know the missus will be a bit happier, because the road noise into the cabin from the POTENZA's was a real pain.

With the changes done to the settings, and new tyre pressures, it is a completely different car.

Can't wait to get it out into the bush and screw the ring out of it:CoolDance:.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some time to do a bit of research and get this sorted. Ended up going with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Have only had a quick squirt around the streets bringing the car home, but massive difference from the old vulcanised crap that was on previously - so much quieter for starters and just feels more planted. Will take it for a good spin this weekend to bed 'em in properly.. :)

Finally had some time to do a bit of research and get this sorted. Ended up going with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Have only had a quick squirt around the streets bringing the car home, but massive difference from the old vulcanised crap that was on previously - so much quieter for starters and just feels more planted. Will take it for a good spin this weekend to bed 'em in properly.. :)

my thoughts exactly.   Still haven't had my car out yet for a good test drive.

Archived