Aged tyres

ANF

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I detect a little tyre snobbery here Adam?:)

I actually wanted PS2's like my other car but of course the right sizes were NLA.  So I was very pleasantly surprised how good the RE003's are and being considerably cheaper was the icing on the cake.

Do I detect a little tyre snobbery here Adam?:)

I actually wanted PS2's like my other car but of course the right sizes were NLA.  So I was very pleasantly surprised how good the RE003's are and being considerably cheaper was the icing on the cake.

Peter my Merc ML has Goodyear Eagle F1s on it, great tyre just bloody expensive, my wife's Volvo S60 has Dunlop Direzza DZ102s on it and for the money a great tyre, esp in the wet - these are under strong consideration for the 928 and my Porsche has PS3s. My last car has PS3s and when I replaced them was convinced by others that Goodyear F1 Directional was a good replacement, it was not!

The tread blocks on the RE003s to me look like they are more of a dry tyre, and from reviews that I have read say the same.

Not a snob I am just thorough and choose what I feel will be the best :)

Yep RE050A is not a bad tyre. Reasonably durable on the track good a all round tyre. I found they were a bit noisier and wore faster than the Michelin PS2 but handled the track better. The Michelin PSS is way better than both PS2 and 050A at prettey much everything but if you can not get your size then they are not an option.

From my understanding the PS3 and PS4 are not a replacement for the ultra high performance PS2. You only need to check the available sizes to see the PS3/4 are not available in the bigger and wider sizes of modern supercars. 

Me I never run tyres past 6 years except for a trailer I never get close to that. 8K is good on the rear of the Turbo and 15K is max for the Cayman rear or any fronts. I pay more for brakes than tyres. And why would you risk you old special appreciating investment or modern liability or life on rubbish tires. If they are old or suspect change them or as stated previously Hyundai's are cheap to run. 

as stated previously Hyundai's are cheap to run. 

Actually , I'm thinking of getting the wife into a Benz SUV as Hyundais are not especially a frugal choice! 

Physics is physics and these modern heavy cars with high profile cars are not exactly cheap to run, given they are mostly commuter cars.

Actually , I'm thinking of getting the wife into a Benz SUV as Hyundais are not especially a frugal choice! 

Physics is physics and these modern heavy cars with high profile cars are not exactly cheap to run, given they are mostly commuter cars.

https://www.racv.com.au/membership/member-benefits/royalauto/motoring/car/australias-best-cars/abc-best-small-car-under-35000-hyundai-i30-active.html

Would it tow our boat up our steep hill :rolleyes: or even slow it going down :o Good car for buzzing around big towns , for dinks and millenials who haven't discovered "eurostyle". Our classic version , the Accent,  remains an offspring DD favourite .

My last car has PS3s and when I replaced them was convinced by others that Goodyear F1 Directional was a good replacement, it was not!

The tread blocks on the RE003s to me look like they are more of a dry tyre, and from reviews that I have read say the same.

Not a snob I am just thorough and choose what I feel will be the best :)

Oh Adam, the PFA RE003 fanbois club wouldn't lead you astray!

What are you actually after?  Great tyres for streaming wet roads?  Well Fraz (in another thread), Simon and P-Kay have given the good oil here.

Great tyres for damp mossy roads?  Yes I can vouch here myself.

Actually pulled a Michelin PS2 shod wheel off a car today and was struck how similar the tread block design was with the RE003's.  However I recall the PS2's have a treadwear grade of 220 while the Bridgestone's are 180 which may explain some of the tenaciousness.

I won't mention the RE003's ever again but you're welcome to join our club anytime.....:)  

• 8 months later...

Hey guys. Been absent a few years, but my 993 is still going strong. Had it up at Autohaus recently for a service and they mentioned the tyres need replacing - they're the originals from when I purchased it from them 5yrs back... I think they said they were 10yrs old (gasp!). So, what should I put on her? She's been to the track once, but probably never again. Thoughts?

Welcome back, it has been a long time Gavin!

I liked Michelin PS2's on my 993 that I bought from Tempe Tyres at a keen price.  However since my last post in this thread I've fitted yet another car with RE003's and frankly love em' and would be my first choice now if you can get the right size for your rears.

Forgive me (tyre)father... For I have sinned. Mine tyres are olde (at least 5 of the ages have past) and have possible cracks in their side walls. I know not what I do and why I do not take mine card of credit to the shoppe of tyres and get thy a new set for thy sturdy chariot! Why am I such a clutz, or is that putz? 

Forgive me (tyre)father... For I have sinned. Mine tyres are olde (at least 5 of the ages have past) and have possible cracks in their side walls. I know not what I do and why I do not take mine card of credit to the shoppe of tyres and get thy a new set for thy sturdy chariot! Why am I such a clutz, or is that putz? 

Just make sure you do some circle work on the old tyres before they come off the car.

When I bought my '00 Boxster in 2015 it still had the original tyres on it. The guy at PCM had a look of horror and awe when I got it checked out. I actually thought I'd "wear them down a bit" but the first week I had it I hit black ice on the freeway and went full lock at 120kmh. That got the credit card out.

• 2 weeks later...

just checked me tyres, they're  all marked as 2010!! Oh god, I'm going to hell. 

Archived