996 4s Vs 997s

Nicco

The Porsche world (more specifically the 911 crowd) are a bit backwards (generally speaking). Whilst in a lot of cars 4WD is considered a preference, Porsche 911 world still seems to prefer 2WD (turbo models aside). So unless your specifically wanting a 4WD car a base C2 in either would be a great car. Both are very different though, 997 I would say is more car and for a daily would be my vote. The 996 is less refined (again, Porsche world this is a desirable characteristic) so if your after a slightly cheaper and less refined experience then that's your car.

Best to get time behind the wheel of both and decide for yourself. Each to their own, 997 S is a great car though for the $$$ these days. 

Hi all, would appreciate any thoughts on buying a 996 4s Vs 997s. I'm aware of the bearing issues, but that aside is the 997s worth the extra $? Which will be the better drive and hold its value better? Thanks 

From my understanding, 997 > 996, and C4S > C2S > C2 > C4.

A 997.2 Carrera S, is probably the best N/A purchase, but still has a bit to depreciate.

A 996 is near bottoming out, but there's a big price difference for reasons more than just age. But the 997.1s are also risky from an IMS perspective, but adds refinement mechanically and inside/outside which yields a premium.

To answer, I'd suggest the 997 S will hold better in the long term.

I bought a 4S based largely on the look of the wider arches which I think makes the difference appearance wise. You have to remember that a 4S is rear wheel drive 99% of the time, yet gives you all wheel traction when required, so best of both worlds I think.

997.2 is the pick of the 997's IMO, 996 not my cup of tea but appreciating in other parts of the world so worth consideration if the looks work for you.

Depends on your budget..

996 for the more budget conscious, otherwise 997 for the win.  Though as above, based on dollars you have more to lose with a 997 purchase, though per the smiles km/h will be similar regardless.

I was in a situation where I wanted 911 ownership and my budget determined 996..  I don't regret my purchase for a second, and have never thought 'what if'..  Both are great cars regardless.

I bought a 4S based largely on the look of the wider arches which I think makes the difference appearance wise. You have to remember that a 4S is rear wheel drive 99% of the time, yet gives you all wheel traction when required, so best of both worlds I think.

997.2 is the pick of the 997's IMO, 996 not my cup of tea but appreciating in other parts of the world so worth consideration if the looks work for you.

When did the 997.2 start and how can you tell? 

The 997.2 was released in late 2009 and was in production until the release of the 991. The big changes from the 997.1 were an all new direct injection engine with 30% few moving parts but hikes in power output for both the 3.6 and 3.8. This was in response to curing the IMS (the new DFI engine doesn't have an IMS) and bore scoring woes of the earlier car and to meet stricter emissions and economy figures. The PDK gearbox was also introduced replacing tiptronic and there were styling changes such as revised tail lights and front bumper. A new selection of wheel designs were also released. The PCM was also upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0 and included Bluetooth and better maps etc. There was also an update to LED units for the DRLs and tail lights. 

The easiest way to spot a 997.2 vs a Gen1 is the tail lights. They are curved up at the inside bottom rather than flat at the bottom. There are other subtle differences as well, like the front air dam and DRLs but they take a bit more spotting I'd you're not sure what you're looking for. 

Google "997.2 vs 997.1" - there are some articles that explain better than I. 

When did the 997.2 start and how can you tell? 

Further to Whytar's comments the 997.2 is a fantastic long term proposition because it retains the smaller 997 shape over the larger, more GT feeling 991, and has hydraulic steering unlike the EPS in the 991 generation.

I REALLY like the 996.2 Carrera 4S, its a hell of a car and if you get one in a good spec they're quite special. They've also bucked the depreciation trend and have seen support at some strong numbers for the right examples.

RE: 996 vs 997 

Some general feedback on this, I like the ergonomics of the 996 cabin, things are in the right place and with a good build sheet, the interior feels special, things that I feel make that cabin a nice place are "full" leather package, alcantara headliner and carbon trim pieces are a nice addition, especially on the doors & console/handbrake lever and no not on the steering wheel, that option is not tasteful IMO! Bose audio is a good touch as is the Bi-xenon lighting. 

On 997 the 7.1 can be a little sparse... but I am only talking from my own experience here so its meant to be! The 7.2 interior is a nice jump up overall ... but I find little things on the 997 cumbersome like power window switches, they moved them to the door panels... not sure why, they are much better in the console, the map pockets in the doors are a little more cumbersome compared to 996. Overall I actually feel little more cramped in my 997 compared to my 996. But I am just nit picking here.. 

They are both an awesome platform, it is true that the 996 is a little more raw, and the 997 is more compliant.

I don't think you can go wrong on either if you are diligent in your purchase, and this is really a case where it will come down to your personal preference and budget. 

I do think it is foolish to speculate on these cars at this early stage of their life, they're both built within the last decade (ok the last 996 just out by a year) so they've still got a ways to go for now before the market dynamic shifts to primarily enthusiast/collector types. 

Archived