718 Cayman S - non driving review (for now)

Apogee

Had a sit in the new 718 Cayman S yesterday at Porsche Willoughby. The 718 is essentially the 981 with a 4 cyl turbo engine and a slightly different skin on the outside. The dimensions are basically the same as the 981 which it is based on.

I didn't like my time in the loaner 981 Boxster and Cayman I drove. I found that I had to put the seat height up several notches as opposed to my 987 Boxster S and Spyder where I still had a good view over the dash with the seat at the lowest setting (the Spyder with GT2 seats has a fixed height). And I am not a shorty at an average 170 cm (5'7") in height. So if I were to purchase a 981 or 718, it has got to have seat height adjustment otherwise, I would be peering out over the dash (like sitting in a bathtub). The chassis and doors of 981/718 are noticeably higher than the 987. The two cars are also noticeably wider compared to the 987, this coupled with the increase in height, makes the 981 feel not as compact and nimble when manoeuvring corners and obstacles. I'm pretty sure this aspect will be mirrored in the 718. 

Otherwise, the new car looks very nice on the outside just like the 981 did. It is a pity it now sports a 4 cyl turbo engine. 

I like that feeling of being low down. 'In' the car versus 'on' the car. Horses for courses I suppose..

Every time jump out of Navara and into the 911 it feels like my ass is literally on the tarmac.

Yes, I agree and I like that feeling too (like being in a gokart). But I would also like not to have my line of sight to be inline with the top of the dash. The Audi TTs are like that. 

The 987 is the perfect size - not too small or too large. Just right. For me that is.

Thanks for the quick review. 

Would be interesting to overlay the 982 over a pre89 911 and compare size differences...

Not exactly what you wanted but..Carsales have a nifty research tool called "Compare". You punch in multiple cars, the year and model and it gives you performance, list price when new and all the usual measurements. I can't link it, but here's the comparisons for those interested in errrr, length and girth:

1988 Carrera vs 718 Cayman S (Carrera figures first)

Length 4291mm vs 4379mm

Width  1652mm vs 1944mm

Height: 1320mm vs 1295mm

Kerb Weight 1355kg vs 1210 kg

KW 160kw@5,900 vs 257kw@6,500

Torque 265nm vs 420nm

Not exactly what you wanted but..Carsales have a nifty research tool called "Compare". You punch in multiple cars, the year and model and it gives you performance, list price when new and all the usual measurements. I can't link it, but here's the comparisons for those interested in errrr, length and girth:

Length 4291mm vs 4379mm

Width  1652mm vs 1944mm

Torque 265nm vs 420nm

Thanks buddy. 

The 718 Cayman significantly wider than I thought!

Thanks buddy. 

The 718 Cayman significantly wider than I thought!

And longer - which in my opinion, no longer fits the brief of the Boxster prototype 22 years ago.  It sure looks better (design proportions wise) but some of the magic has been lost in the redesign. The car is no longer compact and nimble (again my opinion only). It no longer fits the RennSport Kurz (RSK) moniker (Racing short wheelbase) of the original 550 and 718.

Length 4291mm vs 4379mm

Width  1652mm vs 1944mm

Torque 265nm vs 420nm

Porsche Aust website lists the Cayman S width as 1801mm, same as the 981 Cayman, not sure where the 1944 comes from, a Cayenne is 1954mm!

Just checked the carsales data and it lists it as being 1994mm wide.....!! someone stuffed up there....

Still fairly wide at 1801 and approaching my 928 at 1836mm!

Porsche Aust website lists the Cayman S width as 1801mm, same as the 981 Cayman, not sure where the 1944 comes from, a Cayenne is 1954mm!

Just checked the carsales data and it lists it as being 1994mm wide.....!! someone stuffed up there....

Good sleuthing ANF!. That must be the wide bodied Cayman I was referring to. :ph34r:

Do the other dimensions match?

Good sleuthing ANF!. That must be the wide bodied Cayman I was referring to. :ph34r:

Do the other dimensions match?

Yep, all else appears to be correct.

In comparison, more for myself...

The 928 (1983 S version) is 4447mm long, 1836mm wide and 1282mm high, but weighs from 1450 - 1540 depending on options. So not far off the 718 except for weight, and much more than a equivalent year 911!

Yep, all else appears to be correct.

In comparison, more for myself...

The 928 (1983 S version) is 4447mm long, 1836mm wide and 1282mm high, but weighs from 1450 - 1540 depending on options. So not far off the 718 except for weight, and much more than a equivalent year 911!

Only 35mms wider than a Cayman. I remember seeing 928s when I was a young'un, and thinking how brutally wide they looked (In a good way). Maybe because the cars it shared the road with, were tiny in comparison back in the '80s

Back on topic, what I find odd is that the Cayman hasn't grown 1mm in width since its 2005 introduction, all the way through the 718. Good old Porsche evolution, as opposed to revolution.....that and using the same body panels wherever possible for the refresh!.  

Only 35mms wider than a Cayman. I remember seeing 928s when I was a young'un, and thinking how brutally wide they looked (In a good way). Maybe because the cars it shared the road with, were tiny in comparison back in the '80s

Back on topic, what I find odd is that the Cayman hasn't grown 1mm in width since its 2005 introduction, all the way through the 718. Good old Porsche evolution, as opposed to revolution.....that and using the same body panels wherever possible for the refresh!.  

My 928 certainly does feel wide when driving it, especially on narrow roads with cars and trucks approaching!!

The Cayman may not have gained any girth but it is not the lithe little machine that most think..... 997 = 4427mm and 1808mm wide.... !

My 928 certainly does feel wide when driving it, especially on narrow roads with cars and trucks approaching!!

The Cayman may not have gained any girth but it is not the lithe little machine that most think..... 997 = 4427mm and 1808mm wide.... !

I'd beg to differ, as lithe isn't measured in mm's!. Having an engine placed in the middle of the car, and how that translates to the average Joe driver like myself, mid corner...that's lithe. That, and the 911's extra 150kgs. That said...yes, I'd swap to a 997 (if it was a .2!)

I'd beg to differ, as lithe isn't measured in mm's!. Having an engine placed in the middle of the car, and how that translates to the average Joe driver like myself, mid corner...that's lithe. That, and the 911's extra 150kgs. That said...yes, I'd swap to a 997 (if it was a .2!)

The low hood of the pre89 911s really helps with lithe dimensions also. 

The 981 a lot 'taller' looking than the 987.

Personally though the styling of the 982 has really grown on me... the finish to the rear looks much better than the 981, which looks a touch frumpy. 

The low hood of the pre89 911s really helps with lithe dimensions also. 

The 981 a lot 'taller' looking than the 987.

Personally though the styling of the 982 has really grown on me... the finish to the rear looks much better than the 981, which looks a touch frumpy. 

A 981 is what I'd like to move to. I haven't driven one though, and need to. I totally get what you mean about the frumpy look. I think it's because I've been looking at them so long, and seeing them on the road that has changed my tune. They're less organic than a 987, but they still have dem hips!. 

This doesn't scream frumpy to me. 

58703d1431380196-gts-picture-thread-c-1-

A 981 is what I'd like to move to. I haven't driven one though, and need to. I totally get what you mean about the frumpy look. I think it's because I've been looking at them so long, and seeing them on the road that has changed my tune. They're less organic than a 987, but they still have dem hips!. 

This doesn't scream frumpy to me. 

58703d1431380196-gts-picture-thread-c-1-

The front is one of the best looking cars in years. 

But then the rear (admittedly the fish eye view doesn't help at all):

img_KW_Porsche-Cayman-2_Typ-981_1200x800

Whereas on the 718s the black trim and taillights really completes the car in my opinion:

567870.jpg

I actually prefer the 981 GTS front and 718 rear!

Hoping for a 718 GTS though...

The GTS will definitely come, and there should be a nice (turbo based) power bump, It's the GT4 I can't wait to see, Especially if they can shoe-horn the 991.2 motor into it, as is being rumoured.

The front is one of the best looking cars in years. 

But then the rear (admittedly the fish eye view doesn't help at all):

img_KW_Porsche-Cayman-2_Typ-981_1200x800

Whereas on the 718s the black trim and taillights really completes the car in my opinion:

567870.jpg

I actually prefer the 981 GTS front and 718 rear!

The ideal Boxster/Cayman would have the front of the 981, the rear of the 718, with the dimensions, hydraulic assisted PS, and mechanical e-brake of the 987, the flat six 4.0L engine of the GT3RS, all for the price of a Golf. Haven't I missed anything?

The ideal Boxster/Cayman would have the front of the 981, the rear of the 718, with the dimensions, hydraulic assisted PS, and mechanical e-brake of the 987, the flat six 4.0L engine of the GT3RS, all for the price of a Golf. Haven't I missed anything?

Yeah you missed the 986 headlights.  ;)

Archived