911SC tail light removal

Stew F

I want to start renovating my tail light housings over the next couple of weeks. One of them has corroded and needs some delicate repair work.

How do I get the buggers off the car?  I see 2 screws, but what do they screw into? Nuts, speednuts, panel?  I did read that I can drill the heads off and put new screws in, but does that open up the proverbial can of worms?  And enlighten me on these gaskets.

This guy is a bit rough but it may help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEGaANLwjE

From memory I had to unplug all the wires off the back of the reflector, so take a photo or draw a diagram.

To get at the wiring you need to remove the backing plate. Two screws

Have fun.

the screws in the backing plate are a bit rusted in. I put some penetrating oil on them. I'll have another crack at them tomorrow night. 

Mine were pretty buggered and brittle so I replaced them with the aftermarket plastic housings from Design 911 in the UK. Lightweight and shiney. Put the original lense covers back on and the old housings stored away in a box. All looks completely stock.

These and other parts can be found here..

https://www.design911.co.uk/#parts;category-id%3D192

• 2 weeks later...

So, the latest development. My rhs housing is toast. I haven't had the lhs out yet, but I suspect it's not much different. New housings from Porsche are $700 odd each, plus $250 per lens. So I've ordered a pair of repo lights from Design911. $600 landed, with lenses. I just ordered4 new captive nuts from PCAdelaide at under $20.  They are now brass, instead of steel as they originally were, so I'm going to replace all of them, and new screws.

The only  other thing I would add is it's probably a good idea to remove the lights every year or so. I think I removed a kilo of dirt from just the right hand side. It seems like a difficult place to get the hose into to clean out.

I'll post again when the light arrive.

Good work fella

Though whats this slammed 911 render all about then? 

It's just something I was mucking around with on 3DTuner. Just getting some ideas out of my head. It's supposed to be white, but white doesn't render very accurately.  

Archived