Speedster replica import

Arnage

Advice on these.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Porsche-356-130-HP-Porsche-Speedster-Outlaw-Replica-WOW-/182419853014?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a79120ed6:g:-yUAAOSwnHZYeA9m&item=182419853014

I was looking at these yesterday, they look very well put together, finished well and seem well priced.

The ad says they are titled with the year that reflects the original VW floor plan (not sure if they keep the VW VIN). So if floor plan is pre 89 and title states VW convertable would this meet our import criteria as said VW convertable?

Thoughts?

Thanks

The import approval also requires you to supply photos. Once the authouties see the 356 body, they will likely come back and ask for proof it was built that way pre 89.

My DP cargo is a 77 but I had to prove the wagon conversion was completed pre 89 in order to get import approval. 

No.

Australian regulations state that the "year of manufacture" is when the car was created in its current form. (well, not those words, but thats how i read it).

So if it's built on a 55 classic vw in 2005, Aussie says it's a 2005 car

I've imported a number of cars from the U.S. and you are spot on  - its considered a recreation 

A number of the muscle car guys have been caught out.

Restomod a 1964 Mustang with 2015 drivetrain and you have a 2015 vehicle as far as the customs boys are concerned.

Having said that I got my 1971 Dearborn Corporation Autodynamics Deserter GS GT Series Two in from the U.S. and the only thing remaining from 1971 was the build plate !

Helped they didn't have a f*cking clue08_Wachusett_in_GS_08-849x574.thumb.jpg. what it was!

So how do the Japanese used car importers manage to import pretty late model vehicles into the country if the requirement is that they all have to be pre-89?

I see ex-JDM FD2 RX7s and late model Nissans on sale all the time.

I've imported a number of cars from the U.S. and you are spot on  - its considered a recreation 

A number of the muscle car guys have been caught out.

Restomod a 1964 Mustang with 2015 drivetrain and you have a 2015 vehicle as far as the customs boys are concerned.

Having said that I got my 1971 Dearborn Corporation Autodynamics Deserter GS GT Series Two in from the U.S. and the only thing remaining from 1971 was the build plate !

Helped they didn't have a f*cking clue08_Wachusett_in_GS_08-849x574.thumb.jpg. what it was!

That model designation/name is fantastic!! Much more impressive than "356" ....

But FD RX7s were imported by Mazda officially. So how do they skirt around the rules?

found this:

The RX-7 was imported in full volume as a new car and sold in Australia by Mazda until the late 1990’s, so only RX-7’s built from September 1999+ to the end of production in 2002 are eligible for importunder SEVS for normal road use.

You're importing parts and will need to register it as a brand new vehicle following all the same rules as the Aussie made kit cars.

Of course, but, anecdotallyis that similar, easier or harder than importing a car? 

Archived