Visited Porsche Experience Center Atlanta this arvo and drove a 991 GT3

spiller

Great way to spend an afternoon. The facilities include a mini "museum" containing customer race and road cars, a Porsche Classic restoration workshop and of course the on track facilities. There is a 1.3 mile test track which is quite technical with undulation but there is nil run off and guard rails everywhere! On the infield there are a couple of water soaked skid pads, one with a special launch pad that throws the car sideways allowing you to test your correction skills. I had 90 minutes in a 991 GT3 which was pre booked and was allowed to go full bore. 

The 991 GT3 was impressive, I asked if they were altered in any way and the instructor said mild wheel alignment tweaks but otherwise factory. Great car out of the box, very confidence inspiring but lacking the feel of previous gen cars. Too easy to drive quickly? Too capable? Too civilised? I'm not sure what it is. Great car and no disrespect to those that own them but there's some "special" missing from the recipe. Cliche but it's the only way to describe these things! I can honestly say I'd prefer the 996 GT3 as it suits my usage in a better way. 

Nice to hear mate! 90 mins in the 991 is a good outing, was the cost reasonable? 

I agree on the 991 GT3, I've only driven one on the track too and in comparison to the 996/997 GT3 its faster, the capabilities are mind bending, and I think that's just it? It is too good, to the point that yes you are going fast but its electronic intervention that is helping to make that happen for the most part, not your talent. For example the turn in with the 4 wheel steering, the grip levels are right up there too...  and you can pull the flappy paddles, but lets face it the PDK transmission can shift better than you. :P 

Don't get me wrong, I would not expect Porsche to build anything less in the current times mind you, this really comes down to preferences doesn't it? I would have one, but I would replace my antiquated version for it. 

PS - go hit some bbq joints up whilst you're south will you. 

Nice to hear mate! 90 mins in the 991 is a good outing, was the cost reasonable? 

I agree on the 991 GT3, I've only driven one on the track too and in comparison to the 996/997 GT3 its faster, the capabilities are mind bending, and I think that's just it? It is too good, to the point that yes you are going fast but its electronic intervention that is helping to make that happen for the most part, not your talent. For example the turn in with the 4 wheel steering, the grip levels are right up there too...  and you can pull the flappy paddles, but lets face it the PDK transmission can shift better than you. :P 

Don't get me wrong, I would not expect Porsche to build anything less in the current times mind you, this really comes down to preferences doesn't it? I would have one, but I would replace my antiquated version for it. 

PS - go hit some bbq joints up whilst you're south will you. 

I was buggered by the end of it. Cost was $800 US including $50 damage waver which brings insurance excess from $10,000 down to $2000 (you'd be silly not to). Money well spent. Probably did 35 laps of the track and a bunch of skid pan stuff. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's too good out of the box and no longer the car for a hardcore enthusiast, yet it opens the car up to a huge new market. Porsche are smart so the manual 991.2 will quench the thirst of some of the more traditional GT car people. The ridiculous capabilities of the car were highlighted when the instructor (ex blancpain GT series driver) took me for a lap at the end of the session - driving like a mad man on a very narrow and tight track, electronics going ballistic. We would have totaled a 996 had we been in one!

Only here two nights but have stocked up on BBQ both nights...wow!

Nice one :)

I am heading to the states soon and am seriously considering the L.A. One... hmmmm

They had a 928 wagon in the museum here. Close to your colour too. Honestly I would do it if you can. I spent the same amount on excess luggage as I did on the 991 flogging. Airlines and women packing FFS.

They had a 928 wagon in the museum here. Close to your colour too. Honestly I would do it if you can. I spent the same amount on excess luggage as I did on the 991 flogging. Airlines and women packing FFS.

It was in California earlier (Rennlist post) - 4 door study by Porsche is usually in the museum. Colour is very nice a little darker than mine :)

Archived