996 Key in the Wash

D2000

Put my key through the wash. Realised half way through. Pulled it out. Tried the fob. Didn't work. 

Googled it. Forums suggested let it dry out before trying it. Apparently almost guaranteed to work again. If you try it while wet though (as I did) prospects go down substantially.

Opened the key, removed the battery and put everything in a bowl of rice for about 20 hours  tried it again.  Now working!

Thought I'd post just in case anyone washes or wets their key in the future, in which case dry it out before trying the fob!  Probably common sense for everyone but me!

• 1 month later...

Glad you saved it! For future reference, even better than rice is those little silica do not eat sachets that are packed in just about everything.

Saved me with an iphone that dropped in the bath!

Shouldn't be taking photos in the bathroom in the first place!!! 

Shouldn't be taking photos in the bathroom in the first place!!! 

Lol!  It was in an upper sleeve zip pocket - that was open...

Leaned over to wash the kids hair and kaplonk.... it did the dead-fish, side to side sink to the bottom before I grabbed it.

I think the rice thing is a false positive - just letting it dry out helps a lot.

another trick for wet electronics is to open up and view the circuit board, battery contacts etc.  if you see corrosion (usually green on the copper circuits) then brush some white vinegar on with a a soft paintbrush (artist brush not house brush lol) and then mop dry with paper towel.  This will remove the corrosion and any shorts being caused by it.  I resurrected a salt water dunked go pro using this method.

Glad you saved it! For future reference, even better than rice is those little silica do not eat sachets that are packed in just about everything.

Saved me with an iphone that dropped in the bath!

don't ever try a warranty claim on that.  Phones have a tell-tale inside which goes dark if it gets wet.  

Btw apple will sell you a replacement for $100 if you book an Apple Store Genius Bar appointment and tell them you dunked it.  The replacement is a factory refurbished same-model, but you have to ask for it, it's not an advertised service.

Archived