New Purchase 1978 911 SC - Sage Advice Needed

cherrybar12

Nick, the import approval simply gives the authority to bring the car into the country, unfortunately it doesn't guarantee that the car can be registered.

Even though we have national ADRs, each state seems to interpret them differently. For example, in WA another forum member has registered his 3.2 Cabrio as a four seater, with the WA registration authorities giving dispensation to ADR4 relating to lap/sash seat belts in the rear (the cabs don't have them). In NSW you don't seem to be able to do this, meaning the car is a two seater only (until I install my 993 rear seat!).

You'll need to speak to check with your local licensing authority on exactly what they'll require for registration. Last July when I went through the process to register my UK import in Sydney I needed:

- The engineers sign off that the car is compliant with ADRs (and depending on the car you may need to make modifications to meet ADRs - for example I had to install an activated charcoal canister for evaporative emissions)

- A weigh bridge certificate showing the weight of the car

- A blue slip (an unregistered vehicle safety inspection)

- A green slip (third party personal insurance)

- The purchase invoice to calculate the stamp duty for registration

- A copy of the import approval docs

- A large bucket of money to pay all the fees!

Regards

Rob

Brilliant reply Rob, many thanks.

How do I share this across the forum? Can I create this as a 'sticky'?

...fourth imported Porsche without any previous Australian rego that I've looked at. Pretty annoyed...very little honesty forthcoming from all sellers! From fuel injector problems to lies about previous Aussie rego...really disappointing. What attracts such dodgy people?!

...very little honesty forthcoming from all sellers! From fuel injector problems to lies about previous Aussie rego...really disappointing. What attracts such dodgy people?!

At a wild guess: Money!

The fact that in some countries (UK, USA) Porsches are worth much less than they are worth in Aussie will always tempt chancers to buy the cars cheap there and attempt to sell them dear here.

It's unfortunate that you are having such a bad buying experience Nick, however at the sort of price points you are looking at it goes with the territory.

Some of these cars are potential money pits and you have to ask why they haven't been previously registered or restored.

The owners are prepared to tell you just about anything to unload their problems onto you.

The old sayings......."buyer beware" & "you get what you pay for" almost always apply.

Oh, and an old Steve Martin classic.............Sh*t & Shinola!

Once you work out the difference it's all good.

There's some shonky operators working at the higher price range too.

Just got a PPI done on an Australian delivered 911 advertised at $40+k.

This 'pristine' vehicle had a defect list a mile long and an engine on its last legs - mechanic said it was worth less than 30k.

PPI was best money i've ever spent. The car is still for sale, same price same description despite me giving him a copy of the report (and a free appraisal of his ethics and character).

• 5 weeks later...

Found mine about a month ago, finalised the deal last week and hope to collect it early July! It's an Australian delivered 79 sc with 115 thousand Ks. Pictures to come in next few weeks.

Car is not even in the driveway yet and I'm already thinking of projects for it. The Pelican Parts site is pure evil!

Colour is light green ( not Kermit green! ) and located in Brisbane. Debating whether to drive it back to ACT or put it on a truck. Money will be the same either way. Got 2 weeks to decide.

Good opportunity to get to know it better.

If you want to break the trip up and stay in Sydney one night ( perhaps visit Autohaus H) let me know: work in hotel industry in CBD so can hook you up with an unbeatable deal.

Thanks for the offer Doish! A drive from Brisbane to Canberra would be a great way to get to know the car, but I'm leaning more toward the truck option at this point.

The cost of a flight to Brisbane, a few tanks of fuel, food, accommodation etc is roughly the same price as transporting the car back home on a truck.

Although I have great faith in the car, if anything happens while driving it back, i'm a long way from home in a car i'm not familiar with and not experienced in working on. Trucking it will also mean less mileage and wear and tear on the car.

I know that sounds a little paranoid, but i've just bought the thing and i'm wanting a certain level of comfort while learning to drive this thing!

Thanks for the offer Doish! A drive from Brisbane to Canberra would be a great way to get to know the car, but I'm leaning more toward the truck option at this point.

The cost of a flight to Brisbane, a few tanks of fuel, food, accommodation etc is roughly the same price as transporting the car back home on a truck.

Alex. The cost of freight is really secondary to the experience and memory the drive will leave you with. There are a number of members who have driven their cars from state to state. I drove from Sydney to Melbourne with my son about 4 months ago and I still smile when I think about it.

With GPS and smart phones you can plan your trip so you are never that far from some sort if mechanical workshop.

Do it during the week instead of the weekend and if something goes wrong shops are open.

Just my 2 cents.

Theo - appreciate your feedback. I've read a tonne of threads about people taking that memorable journey home after purchasing their 911, and I may well be robbing myself of a landmark experience by putting it on a truck instead.

My original plan was to avoid the major highways and take a bit of a scenic route where I might see a few bends and visit some country towns, but maybe a long smooth highway will appease my anxiety a little better.

I guess the other paranoid concern (other than breakdown, kangaroos, rock-flinging trucks, acts of God!)was finding a hotel/motel at the halfway point with decent parking so i'm not leaving it in a vulnerable position.

Otherwise, the seller and mechanic who did the PPI reckon it's a wonderful car which will do the Brisbane to Canberra trip without blinking!

It's a two day journey and i've got two weeks to think about it.

Port Macquarie has a few nice hotels and I have a contact at Sebel Newcastle or the Sebel Hunter Valley if you take the scenic drive down the new England. By the way I cycled Brisbane to Sydney late last year over 5 days for a charity and this was the moment where I decided to take the plunge and by my first 911. 250 km a day in the saddle allows plenty of time to weigh up the pros and cons and the road and scenery is superb - would be an amazing experience in a 911.

Just Do It.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm intrigued after reading this thread now.... so AC78 did you drive down in the end? Tell us all about it!

AC78 let us know!! I used to live in Canberra and drove to Darwin and back a few years ago with my mate and my dad... Still one of the best experiences of my life! Where ever I end up buying my Porsche from I will be driving back for sure :)

Archived