996 243000 Miles - Amazing outcome

Interesting if not very scientific. In a past life I was into dyno days and what you learn really quickly is that there are vastly different figures between different dynos. Sometimes you even get big differences between the same dyno on different days, although the best ones have compensation factors for temperature and barometric pressure. 

Even taking all of that into account, is the result surprising? I don't know enough about the water cooled engines, but I do know what we used to find with 15-20 year old 964RS's. In general, if the engine had good compression and leak down numbers, they tended to make more than Porsche claimed. We also noticed a bit of a trend that for similar leak down numbers, the more miles a car had done, the more likely it was to make better power. Maybe it's to do with the old racing adage that engines always seem to be at their most powerful just before they go bang! I was of the belief that it was because the lower mileage engines were tighter while the higher ones were more free spinning and that this was attributed to the bottom end, because if the leak down figures are the same, it is less likely to be at the top end. The counter to that is that there has to be a point at which the engine is loose enough and does it really take 30-50,000 miles to get that loose?

So for me, the result isn't a great surprise and shows the importance and advantages of buying a car with a good engine. I bet the leak down numbers of that engine are very good but if you have ever seen a poor engine on the dyno the results are as you would expect.

WOW! At that price, you couldn't really go wrong but given the story, he really lucked into what now seems like a great car. For every story you hear like this, how many do you hear of where it has all gone wrong?

oh definitely

WOW! At that price, you couldn't really go wrong but given the story, he really lucked into what now seems like a great car. For every story you hear like this, how many do you hear of where it has all gone wrong?

Geez we get screwed on price , he paid about 12k Aust and for that car-  here the same would be around 30k ... gotta admit Simon I don't think I've ever read a story on here about someone buying a 996/ 997 in that scenario . even a 986 where it all went belly up ... except a non similar story where (I think?) Niko's ex Coxster caught the IMS disease

Sandy, you are right. I should have said for every story of somebody buying a decent car without a PPI you hear loads of bad ones, but in this case, it really was such a low risk as he could part it out if needed and make money. As it was, he hit gold. Given a chance like that, even I would buy a 996!

Geez we get screwed on price , he paid about 12k Aust and for that car-  here the same would be around 30k ... gotta admit Simon I don't think I've ever read a story on here about someone buying a 996/ 997 in that scenario . even a 986 where it all went belly up ... except a non similar story where (I think?) Niko's ex Coxster caught the IMS disease

30k, which is about 60 less than what some people would ask for a similar mileage/condition air cooled Oz RHD car over here. I'd love to be able to buy a 996 for 12k...but even at 30 they're a relative bargain.

Sandy, you are right. I should have said for every story of somebody buying a decent car without a PPI you hear loads of bad ones, but in this case, it really was such a low risk as he could part it out if needed and make money. As it was, he hit gold. Given a chance like that, even I would buy a 996!

I think you're more likely to get people posting on forums with problems than you are saying 'Hey I've driven my car XXX,XXXk's and haven't had any problems'.

The more I drive my 996 the more I cherish it and the more my heckles get up with the thinly veiled 996 hate. Recently I was looking - again - at buying an air cooled car and had the opportunity to drive a nice SC. My first air cooled experience, it was fun but then I jumped back in the 996 to drive home and it just felt so good in comparison I couldn't reconcile the price difference. I still love the look and sound of the air cooled cars and I'm sure a well sorted car is a great thing to drive but for the moment I've decided to keep an eye on the air cooled market and focus on getting my Alfa Giulia GTA rep on the road.

30k, which is about 60 less than what some people would ask for a similar mileage/condition air cooled Oz RHD car over here. I'd love to be able to buy a 996 for 12k...but even at 30 they're a relative bargain.

I think you're more likely to get people posting on forums with problems than you are saying 'Hey I've driven my car XXX,XXXk's and haven't had any problems'.

The more I drive my 996 the more I cherish it and the more my heckles get up with the thinly veiled 996 hate. Recently I was looking - again - at buying an air cooled car and had the opportunity to drive a nice SC. My first air cooled experience, it was fun but then I jumped back in the 996 to drive home and it just felt so good in comparison I couldn't reconcile the price difference. I still love the look and sound of the air cooled cars and I'm sure a well sorted car is a great thing to drive but for the moment I've decided to keep an eye on the air cooled market and focus on getting my Alfa Giulia GTA rep on the road.

My comment was more about buying cars with or without PPI's, rather than buying high mileage cars. I have no issue with buying a high mileage car after a PPI, so long as it is priced correctly.

As for the debate about 996's, I guess it is each to their own. All said and done, it is a Porsche. But when you say the 996 "felt so good in comparison", that is just as subjective as my comment, which is that compared with a good air cooled car, the standard 996 feels soulless. But this isn't the time or place. they are different cars that appeal to different people and we should celebrate the differences and choices available to fans of the marque.

My comment was more about buying cars with or without PPI's, rather than buying high mileage cars. I have no issue with buying a high mileage car after a PPI, so long as it is priced correctly.

As for the debate about 996's, I guess it is each to their own. All said and done, it is a Porsche. But when you say the 996 "felt so good in comparison", that is just as subjective as my comment, which is that compared with a good air cooled car, the standard 996 feels soulless. But this isn't the time or place. they are different cars that appeal to different people and we should celebrate the differences and choices available to fans of the marque.

It was a one off experience, jumping from one example of an AC car that was for sale for nearly double what I paid for my 996 12 months ago. Apart from the fundamentals there was little objective comparison, so my subjective comparison in this one instance was that for half the ticket price the 996 felt good, really good. Both cars appeal to me, I'd love to have an AC car but at the current AC prices I soon realised, in this instance at least, I wasn't going to have double the experience, so it doesn't make sense to me. I don't agree that compared with a 'good' air cooled car, the 'standard' 996 is soulless, a little subdued maybe...easily revealed with an easy/cheap mod to the intake and a decent exhaust. But yeah you're right it is all subjective...what about comparing a 'good' 996 with a 'standard' AC car...or am I being pulled into a semantic wankery vortex from which I may never return?

those miles only get you to the moon, reckon your better off getting a return trip with this one along with it being a much quicker trip (boosted rockets as NA obviously runs out of puff)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32639/this-porsche-996-turbo-for-sale-has-an-absurd-590000-miles-on-it/

those miles only get you to the moon, reckon your better off getting a return trip with this one along with it being a much quicker trip (boosted rockets as NA obviously runs out of puff)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32639/this-porsche-996-turbo-for-sale-has-an-absurd-590000-miles-on-it/

$17.5k for a turbo! I would 

Archived