924 Turbo Rear Decal

Dreamr

Hey Guys,

For those of you in the know, I'm looking for information on the rear 924 turbo decal ....

I'm a little confused and trying to find clarification. 

Is the rear decal an outline only then placed directly on the paintwork, or is it an outline over a piece of screen printed vinyl the same colour as the car then laid on?

The original that is on my car is very faded but it looks like it is an outline on red vinyl then put over the paintwork ....

If any of you 924 turbo owners could check and post your findings / photo on here, that will help me in replacing my faded one ...

Cheers .....

Thanks for the link Oz .... Unfortunately the decals they sell are for post '83 924's.....

There really isn't a lot of info about the rear sticker .... the turbo.was only made for 3 years, so parts have kind of been put on the back burner ....

I have found some "outline" ones on the net, but I would really have liked to have seen a picture on a red one to see if it is more than just that ....

Anyone with a red 924T?? .......

I taking a guess here, but I think if it's like the long porsche script below the taillights, or how the Carrera GT ones were done, the genuine ones are a colour outline printed on clear - which once applied could look like the paint colour!

Most replica decals of the like are cut vinyl outlines only.

Ps, maybe move thread from the watercooled 911 thread to the front engined thread for more answers!^_^

I taking a guess here, but I think if it's like the long porsche script below the taillights, or how the Carrera GT ones were done, the genuine ones are a colour outline printed on clear - which once applied could look like the paint colour!

Most replica decals of the like are cut vinyl outlines only.

Ps, maybe move thread from the watercooled 911 thread to the front engined thread for more answers!^_^

Thanks Trev ..... being printed on clear would make sense as well .... I thought it might have been printed on a car coloured vinyl .....

BTW ... I don't know how to move it!! That's why it's still here   .... :(

Have just redone all decals on the back of my turbo and they are all just black outlines.

Thanks Rod .....

After a lot more research on the www, it seems that Trev was on the right track.

The original decals from Porsche were clear vinyl with the black outline screen printed over it .... then when it was cut, there was a small border of clear around the black ....

The clear vinyl being so that the original paint colour came through ....

As the original design of the sticker is no longer available and quite expensive to buy if you can find someone that does it the old fashion way, it seems that the modern way to go is to get just the black outline .... it gives the same effect for a fraction of the price.

I would imagine that one would only go the original way if a concourse resto was being done ....

• 2 weeks later...

I used a modern sticker on mine a few years back and was happy with the result. I had it installed by someone else, I understand it was something of a PIA as it is relatively fine.

From what I have found on the net, most of them are replaced with a vinyl cut outline of the wording ...

I did manage to find a place in Germany that reproduces them the old way ... screen printing the wording outline over clear vinyl ... exactly as Porsche put them on originally ...

They work out at about AU $55 so when I eventually get a new paint job done, I will fit one of these ... just for originality sake.

Archived