Brake upgrade necessary for 3.6 conversion?

TAV

Hi all

hoping to get some thoughts on whether a  brake upgrade is necessary with a 3.6 conversion in 911sc. Car will be used for club sprints a few times a year.  If so, recommendations? I'm running 17" wheels in a wide body.

Thanks in advance. 

I have boxster brakes on my SC & they are sensational. With 3.6 power I assume you want to push a bit harder so for a relatively modest outlay the upgrade would be worthwhile. You may even want to go bigger & opt for turbo brakes, especially if you'll do track days....

I have boxster brakes on my SC & they are sensational. With 3.6 power I assume you want to push a bit harder so for a relatively modest outlay the upgrade would be worthwhile. You may even want to go bigger & opt for turbo brakes, especially if you'll do track days....

my setup is for my 3.6L track car and works well.

could use a bit more stopping power on longer sessions but then the trade off is more unsprung mass!

I run Boxster calipers on my IROC race car. It has a 3.6 with 365 hp.  3.2 discs. Bias adjustable.  Tilton pedal box  

They work brilliantly and have never failed me. 

Recently a tClipsal in 38 deg + ambient I did. 6 x 20 minute sessions at full noise and no issues. 

Dont go the big reds.

Great set up but mainly good for bragging rights and don't heat up fast enough so you'd be running road pads just to get the heat in them. I have that set up for longer races using a custom hat and brembo rotor to fit under my 15's and even in longer races I still use road pads  

Early 930 brakes are great but big investment and best kept in pristine condition on your Cafe Racer. 

MR901:

Hey @MR901... I was recommended a similar upgrade if I wanted to go beyond better pads & fluid, ie. get some boxster brakes. I forgot to ask which model boxster would suit. Can you say? any model, all fit? Can use latest model? or 986 only? I have a 3.2 under my backdated RS.

Ive got 930 Rotors and 993 Calipers on mine (front and rear). Car was previously tracked a lot at Eastern Creek and this was the final iteration the previous owner had, so I can only assume it worked well for me. 

On my limited track days, Ive never had issues regarding stopping power or brake fade. 
Boxster S seem to be the most favourable and economical change for those with more power than factory.

P.s. Need 8mm spacers to clear the caliper with the factory 16x7 +23 Fuchs up front.  

hi, any boxster brake detail you can share? (See my earlier post)

Archived