RS clones or 'backdates'

Shannon's have an 82 Carerra that's been modified to look like a 73 RS up for auction with a guide of $50k

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/DE60FO43KK7B0AN

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on a recreation/backdate? Personally I prefer factory original cars, but seeing this got me thinking! Is $50k fair game for such a thing?

Cheers

Steve

I'm sure I've said it before in this forum, but anything is worth exactly what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

Of course a factory original is nicer, but even if you can find a genuine 73 RS, it will cost squillions.

There has been a cottage industry for a long time dressing 911's up to look different. There are 964-look 911 SC's out there and there are long bonnet conversions like this, and I know which I would rather own!

If the car in question is in very good condition, then $50k would be about right. If the conversion has been done well, it would be hard to see how you could do it for less.

But I suspect that you could pick up a truly mint SC for less than $50k, so the question is: is it worth paying a premium for the fancy dress? In the car in question, the only thing that I don't like is the addition of the leccy seats from a 964.

I'll predict it goes for at least mid 50's, maybe more with a Spencer Harrison built motor on motec. It would be a bargain for $50k. Genuine RS will cost 6 times this much. I've seen similar cars asking up to $80,000 and they do eventually sell.

Paul M

Archived