1st gear rattle

quasio

Have driven another 996, while this one drove a lot better than the other i drove previously, I'm finding another issue that i'd like an opinion on. It's done 115k kms and to owners knowledge no clutch has been done yet.

Clutch on this one seems like it's on the way out as well, it is firm and a very high take point.

However something that has me worried is that In first gear only there seems to be an extra rattle, it's fairly noticeable, and tbh sounded like an engine problem, but it goes away in all other gears.

Could it just be a clutch issue? which is fine and i can replace, or does the tranny 1st gear need a rebuild.

Could be quite a few things, i'd say if its gearbox related its not going to be cheap so it should be taken into careful consideration. Is the car a MK1 or MK2? Could be flywheel, clutch fork, throw out bearing or gearbox just to name a few components.

Firmness could indeed mean new clutch but budget for a new clutch helper spring ~$100 for the part + ~$400 in labour often the spring breaks and starts to bind causing an extremely firm pedal.

From my memory it only seemed to occur when the clutch was let out (fully connected), i didn't hear the sound when the clutch was pushed in, and changing gears. pretty much stopped as soon as the clutch was pushed in.

and yes the noise follows the rpm, but i didn't rev 1st very hard, i was just reved it to about 3-4k then changed to second. and it seemed to follow.

To me it sounded like engine noise actually, but it went away as soon as i went to any other gear. Didn't really try reverse much either.

From my memory it only seemed to occur when the clutch was let out (fully connected), i didn't hear the sound when the clutch was pushed in, and changing gears. pretty much stopped as soon as the clutch was pushed in.

What about when in neutral? Either way if it's gearbox related it has to be dropped out of the car and investigated.

How many owners has it had and does it have solid service history? 

didn't hear it in neutral, only revving around in 1st.

2 owners, service history isn't great. driven 10k kms in the last 5 yrs, and serviced once recently,.. .at .. ultratune..

doubt the gearbox oil has been changed either, as they've been just following porsche service intervals.

owner mentioned he's had this sound for a long time, and it hasn't changed or gotten worse.

didn't hear it in neutral, only revving around in 1st.

serviced once recently,.. .at .. ultratune..

Ultratune, hurm... What did they do on the last service? 

Might need a new flywheel. At minimum it sounds like it could do with a new clutch kit (disk, throw out bearing, pressure plate). 

Doubt it's thrust bearing as it would be making the noise in all gears.

• Is first easy to shift into and out of? No crunchiness, sloppiness, sounds, etc?
  • And no noise when in neutral (both clutch in and out)?
  • Does it get worse with more or less RPM?
  • Noise doesn't change when going over bumps? (indicating something possibly loose and rattling with harmonics)

• Yes seems fine, the gearshifter had a lot of general play in it, but i think that's just with age/kms
  • no noise
  • i wouldn't say it gets worse, but it does follow rpm, so It sounded worse to me at higher revs. 
  • unsure, didn't try.

anyway i think i'm going to pass on this car, my personal gut feel wasn't great on it. It's probably fine, a simple clutch job and tightening of the shifter is probably all that's required.

• Yes seems fine, the gearshifter had a lot of general play in it, but i think that's just with age/kms
  • no noise
  • i wouldn't say it gets worse, but it does follow rpm, so It sounded worse to me at higher revs. 
  • unsure, didn't try.

anyway i think i'm going to pass on this car, my personal gut feel wasn't great on it. It's probably fine, a simple clutch job and tightening of the shifter is probably all that's required.

Just an FYI the 996 shifter unit isn't great. Also the only adjustment that can be done is on the cables which just control how well it goes into gear.

Best to ditch the 996 unit and install a 997 one. 

It's a direct swap slightly shorter throw but not by much and no play. I wouldn't consider it a factor to rule out a car. Although in this scenario if it has gearbox issues I'd walk away too. 

Just an FYI the 996 shifter unit isn't great. Also the only adjustment that can be done is on the cables which just control how well it goes into gear.

Best to ditch the 996 unit and install a 997 one. 

It's a direct swap slightly shorter throw but not by much and no play. I wouldn't consider it a factor to rule out a car. Although in this scenario if it has gearbox issues I'd walk away too. 

or go for a tarett engineering competition shift and put it on long shift which is the same throw or adjust to mid or short shift at any point in the future. Also you'll never need to replace it again like the very ordinary bushes and plastic they use in the stock shifters. 

yeah understood about the shifter play, lots of vids and options to improve the shifting feel, which i was intending to do. Converting to 997 didn't seem too expensive either.

I'm was just worried about that single gear noise, at the price it was going for, i wasn't really prepared to do a trans rebuild, and even hesitant about even a flywheel change. as that would put me in a touch too high price realm.

or go for a tarett engineering competition shift and put it on long shift which is the same throw or adjust to mid or short shift at any point in the future. Also you'll never need to replace it again like the very ordinary bushes and plastic they use in the stock shifters. 

What's the cost on that unit? I know the numeric racing gets awesome reviews but it's around $1200USD. 

Value wise the standard 997 is the best IMO. It can also be upgraded to metal ball bearing bushes from Function first. Or you can get the 997 GT3 shifter that has metal bushes. 

I dont mind the idea of using the bushings from a SSK kit, I had seen that video before but it was awhile ago and it looked daunting at the time! 

I also like the washer too, dont know about using that metal part when its plastic on plastic which becomes metal on plastic.

Archived