seeing the light

brian in buddina

Question for the 944 brain trust:

My car is a 1988 944S

When I had my head down the drivers side foot well, looking at the pedals, I saw light coming through were the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

When I looked at the steering shaft from the engine compartment side I could see a rubber seal had perished. Here's a photo... 

image_zpssvlzwl8f.jpeg

Looking at the Porsche Katalog, Am I looking at item 23?
This is identified as part number 477 419 059 'needle sleeve'
This item number does not show up as in the Porsche shop manual  volume 3 Chassis. At least the copy I have.

image_zpsx3xxizuj.png

Do I have the correct part number? Does the shading in the Katalog diagram imply that its rubber?
Has anyone done this fix?
The Porsche Chassis shop manual describes starting with removing the steering wheel as opposed accessing it from the engine compartment side.
Does the Katalog imply that it it is sold as a package with item 24, which is the needle roller bearing?
Is their any other rubber that should be replaced while I'm in there, such as item 20?
Any help would be much appreciated.

I did this job on mine ages ago. It is a rubber bush and from memory I got it (no bearing) from PCA and fitting it was a real PIA. I didn't replace 20 but I guess it's a "while your in there" type job. It also effects the working of the horn if not done correctly.

Thanks Airhead

I am looking forward to this.

While I'm in there might as well fix the lights to the instruments, or is it just the  dimmer that failed. The instrument are permanately dim. 

While the instrument cluster is out might as well re skin the dash.

While the dash is half disassembled might as well check the air con.

Anyone else done any of this?

It is more than like the plating on the reflectors which light the instruments have deteriorated over the 20+ years. This is a common problem in oval dash 944/968's. I have the same problem in my 968. Below is a link to Clark's Garage where they describe one method to repair the reflectors. Auto Atlanta have kit available to repair the reflectors. When I get around to repairing my 968 I will replace the standard bulbs with LED's. The dimming potentiometer will not dim LED's due to LED's not drawing sufficient current.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-08.htmhttp://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-08.htm

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=968-92-95&section=906-00http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=968-92-95&section=906-00

I have done this job with the dash lights on a 86 944, just clean off the old reflective paint and get some silver reflective tape and stick on. I couldn't believe the difference it made and i also cleaned all the globes and it was way better, very bright, no need for LED's i found.

Allan; I read somewhere, I think it was the Rennlist forum, about someone changing over to LED instrument lights. The poster was not impressed with the light given off. I'm not sure what wattage or what they did to the reflector. 

Tingy; any words of wisdom on taking the dash apart. Is there any procedure listed on the dash disasembly?

Its pretty basic, steering wheel off, 24mm socket on an extension, you pull the horn pad off you will think you are going to break it, two hands and pull really hard and be careful of the horn wire that attaches behind the pad. You will not get out of taking the steering wheel off I've tried.

You may get away with not having to remove the plastic cover over the blinker/wiper stalks.

Take the speedo surround out there should be 8 screws with 2 underneath the dash just either side of the steering column.

There is 4 screws holding the speedo cluster in and 3 plugs at the rear of the unit.

Work from the right hand side and unplug these, there should be 2 lugs sticking out of the plugs, squeeze these gently inwards and the plug will release.

When you turn the unit upside down you will see 3 triangular shaped pieces of plastic, clean these off with non acetone nail polish remover, get rid of the old coating,buy some reflective tape and stick over where all the coating has gone.

It's relatively cheap and easy to do.

Thanks Tingy - I need to organize a few parts before I start disasembling the dash. 

Before I start has anyone re done the vinyl surface on their dash? I have seen the you tube video. I am wondering if anyone has done it here and what research they have on selecting a vinyl. I assume its just glued with contact cement. 

Brian, a mate of mine with a 968 has attached Alfoil to the back of the instruments for the reflector with good results, he has also used LED's. LED's burn cooler with a whiter light than the standard bulbs. I have seen on flea bay where you can get a kit with coloured LED's for a different effect. I understand some people have increased the wattage of the bulbs with disastrous results, as more heat is generated which can melt some of the instrument panel.

thanks Allan

I haven't looked at LEDs yet. Coloured ones would be very neat but I would lose concourse points. Has gone this way or used coloured LEDs? 

Is there any lighting experts out there? Do LEDs fit or do you have to solder the wires in? Do LEDs come in different wattages?

Has anyone bipassed the dimmer for the instruments? If its an old rheostat type or even a digital one, I wonder if it de grades over time and reduces the available wattage to the lights if not working properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted white LED's but have an electrical issue with the instrument lights, this is just one of those things I have not yet got around to fixing.

The LED's I have fit straight in, replacing the existing bulbs. You have to get the polarity right for LED's to work. I have replaced the interior, luggage and bonnet bulbs with LED's. These were bought online from Bright Light Auto Parts in Melbourne. They were very helpful over the phone. The original bulbs are 3W push in glass-base bulb.

http://brightlightautoparts.com.au/

I have fitted white LED's but have an electrical issue with the instrument lights, this is just one of those things I have not yet got around to fixing.

The LED's I have fit straight in, replacing the existing bulbs. You have to get the polarity right for LED's to work. I have replaced the interior, luggage and bonnet bulbs with LED's. These were bought online from Bright Light Auto Parts in Melbourne. They were very helpful over the phone. The original bulbs are 3W push in glass-base bulb.

http://brightlightautoparts.com.au/

That's great info, thanks Allan.

How do you find the interior brightness with the LEDs? 

Archived